Chapter 32

Dean is still riding the high off his first single, "Going Well," which is doing shockingly well. It debuted at number one on the Billboard Top 100 chart, marking his second song to top that chart and the first to do so for multiple weeks — it dipped to number two its second week, but bounced up for the third, and now is on track to hit its second week in a row at number three. As if that's not impressive enough, it's also topping the radio on multiple formats, and there's a Tik Tok trend going on with the song, too.

This is the best performance of any song he's ever released. It's not even a debatable fact. Sure, he's no Ariana Grande, but this is great. In fact, the song is doing so well, his publicist has even started adding new interviews and performances to his schedule to keep the promo up, because it seems to be paying off.

They're nearing the end of week five of this song, and he should be releasing the second single soon. Unfortunately, to do that, they would typically pull the first song from the radio to promote the new one, and no one wants to kill the hype around "Going Well," so they're holding off on the next song for another couple weeks. It's much easier to focus on one single at a time. They have to get it out soon, though, because Christmas songs are about to start dominating the charts again, and he can't compete with Mariah Carey.

Because the success this era has generated already, Dean's publicist has already decided to hook him up with BBC's Live Lounge for the first time in a few years, hoping to make the most of his new exposure. For anyone who doesn't obsess over popular artists and their performances, BBC's Live Lounge is a pre-recorded performance with a set list of four or so songs from the artist's catalogue, and one cover of another artist's songs.

Last time he was there, he covered Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Simple Man," which was the last time he managed to get away with it before his fans decided they were sick of hearing that song over and over. He's going to need to pick something different for this year's performance. The question is, what?

Naturally, he takes to his phone to ask around.

Dean: Hey since you were really good at suggesting TV shows to watch can I ask another favor

And now he waits.

And waits.

And waits.

Castiel must not be anywhere near his phone right now. Unfortunately, Dean doesn't have anything to do for the rest of the day, so getting a line on Cas was his only chance at entertainment. Now he has to find something else to do.

So he starts watching Lucifer. Castiel's IMDb listed him as a character in a couple of episodes, both early in the series. That's about all the motivation he needs to convince himself to watch it.

~~

It isn't until that night that Dean finally gets a text back.

Castiel: Sorry, I was on a "date" with Jo. Are you still looking for a favor?

Finally! God, he was starting to think he was going to finish the show, or at least the first season, before Castiel got back to him.

Dean: Yes I am

Dean: But you can't tell anyone

Castiel: I can't tell anyone we're talking at all, to be fair.

Castiel: Wait, do you mean I can't tell anyone at all? As in it's a secret from literally everyone, including Jo?

Dean: Oh no you can tell her but my publicist would murder me if she found out I was talking about this

Castiel: ... okay?

Dean: I've been booked for the Live Lounge in a couple weeks and I need something to sing