Realisation

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. Kind of lost inspiration towards the end.

Edmund's POV

"Damn it, damn it," Edmund growled as he slammed the door shut.

Captain Jack looked up and he grinned. "Why are you so mad son?"

Edmund glared at his sworn brother and walked over to the wine cabinet.

"Hey, hey, don't touch my store of precious wine," Captain Jack called out and took a swig of ale.

Ignoring Captain Jack, Edmund threw open the doors and poured himself a glass of one of the strongest wines. As he drank it, the fiery liquid scorched his throat but he poured himself another one

"Hey lad, go easy on that one," Captain Jack warned. He got up and took the wine bottle from him. "What's going on? I've never seen you so angry before. Spill to this old man here."

"I don't understand women," Edmund muttered bitterly. "They are such strange creatures."

"Oh, so this is about that lovely girl Juliet?" Captain Jack's face brightened and he clucked his tongue. "Don't tell me you're so upset because of a little spat."

"You've no idea what she said," Edmund groused. "She accused me of having an affair with Caroline when she herself was wandering in Whitechapel with that bastard Lord Jasper."

Captain Jack laughed. "Is that all your little argument is about?"

"Yes." Edmund darted him a dark look. "She doesn't trust me. In spite of everything she said, she chooses to believe rumors which were no doubt created by Lord Jasper."

"If you don't mind me asking, old boy." Captain Jack gave him a curious book. "Have you ever slept with Caroline before?"

"Jack!" Edmund glared at his best friend. "I refuse to believe that even you doubt me."

"'Tis not surprising." The captain shrugged. "Both of you seem close."

"Not close in that kind of way," Edmund muttered. "I'm her friend but I've never desired her."

"If you weren't engaged, I would have accused you of being a monk. You must admit, Caroline's one hell of an attractive woman," Captain Jack guffawed. "It's hard to resist her."

"She's not my type," Edmund replied irritably. "I prefer..."

Someone like sweet, kind Juliet. No. Not someone like her. I just want her.  "I don't see how this is any of your business. I would prefer it if you just watch me drown my sorrows away," he finished feebly.

It was true Caroline was in many ways more attractive than Juliet. She was good in the ways of pleasing men- not that he had ever experienced first-hand before- and she was beautiful in the stereotypical way. Nevertheless, there was something hard and cold about her which never appealed to him.

Juliet was different. The way she blushed whenever she saw him made his day smile. He looked forward to surprising her and it always angered him that she sought Lord Jasper's company. Hell, if he was bold enough to admit it, he was jealous of their friendship.

"I get what you mean, pal," Captain Jack downed his wine. "Caroline's like a scorching brandy. It's fiery and wonderful but it burns your throat. Lady Juliet on the other hand, is like rice wine. While it's mild, it leaves an everlasting sweetness which you can never forget. She's just like her...." He trailed off, momentarily distracted by his own thoughts.

"I suppose that's one way of putting it, my alcoholic friend," Edmund muttered. He drank the last bit of his brandy and winced. Jack was right. He would prefer rice wine to brandy any other day. Both literally and figuratively speaking of course.

"By the way, there's a reason why Lady Juliet was in Whitechapel," Captain Jack added lazily. "I received news from Gisors that she had paid a visit to witch with Lord Jasper."

"Whatever reason was it for?"

"Her lady friend's mentally ill and she was desperate to find a cure."

"Syvil?" Edmund looked up, momentarily distracted from his anger. "Syvil's ill?"

"Aye. She's a ghost of her old self, apparently. They are thinking of sending her to a mental asylum."

"How do you know all these?"

"I'm the great ol' Captain Jack," he guffawed.

Edmund remained silent as he took in the news. Juliet wasn't lying. She hadn't been at Whitechapel to engage in some scandalous affair with Lord Jasper. Mercy, he had doubted her and even implied that she was a mistress.

And all along, she was just trying to help her friend. It was just typical of her character. She was always putting others before herself.

"I messed up," Edmund groaned. The brandy was giving him a headache now. And his heart ached. To think he hurt Juliet with all those brutal words despite having promised her that he would love her forever.

"It's funny to see you so uncontrolled of yourself." Captain Jack smirked. "The aloof, brooding Edmund Aughust has been thrown off balance by the elusive Juliet Rosewood."

"Shut up." Edmund got up and collected his cloak. "I need to get going. I need to apologize to her."

"You ain't going to get an easy time," Captain Jack mused. "She's a tough nut."

"I'm going to try nevertheless," Edmund muttered. "I can't lose her. I lost her once when we were children and I moved to London. I can't lose her again."

Without saying a word further, he left the room, leaving his best friend alone in the room.

"I understand son, I understand," Captain Jack whispered, his smile disappearing.

An image of a girl with fiery red hair surfaced in his mind. It wasn't Lady Juliet. This girl had more prominent cheekbones and a slimmer figure but she bore a strong resemblance to her.

She was laughing and waving to him as he chased her in the poppy fields. Both of them were happy.

"Lillian," he choked out.

Ever since she died, he never stopped mourning and he would stop at nothing to track down the person who killed her and protect her daughter.

"I will kill you, whoever you are," he hissed to himself.