Eloped

For days, Juliet sat at home contemplating. She didn't attend any functions and feigned sickness to avoid Mrs Rosewood's suspicion.

The choice presented by Caroline was simple.

Titania or Edmund? She could choose only one.

If it had been any other person, Juliet would have instantly chosen Titania. Even if she wasn't her blood sister, she still loved her with all her heart.

But the other choice was Edmund. The only person she loved most other than her own sister. If possible, she loved both of them equally. How could she give him up? But if she didn't, Titania would be in danger.

Frustrated, Juliet slammed her fist down on the table and she watched in astonishment as the wood splintered.

The door flew open and Mrs Rosewood strode in. She stared at her for a moment and demanded in that snide voice of hers. "What's going on? If you're sick and moody, don't take it out on the dressing table for goodness sake. I paid a fortune for it."

"Mother, do you know Titania is right now?" Juliet said softly. Her eyes refocused on her step-mother. "Do you know where she is right now?" Her voice became shriller.

Mrs Rosewood eyed her disapprovingly. "This isn't something you should be concerned with. Focus on your bethrodal to Lord Edmund. That harlot must have sold herself to the devil for all we know."

"But don't you want to know how she is right now?" Juliet whispered.

"I care naught for her. That disgusting whore almost ruined my reputation. Now, I'm left with you so you'd better behave or else," Mrs Rosewood sneered and stomped out of the door.

Juliet sank onto her bed in disbelief. How could her step-mother be so cruel? After all, Titania had been part of the family for so many years. That woman was merciless to the point of insanity.

She couldn't rely on anyone now. Only she had the power to save her sister.

Don't. Juliet. Don't be selfless. Just this once.

Juliet winced. Her inner voice was telling her to not let go of Edmund. He had done so much for her. 

"I'm sorry Edmund, I was forced to do this," Juliet whispered. She quickly took out a sack and stashed a bundle of clothing into it. Taking out a piece of paper and fountain pen, she quickly penned down a message.

Dearest Edmund,

By the time you read this letter, I would have left for another village. I seek you to not look for me. Treasure your happiness with Caroline as she cares for you in that selfish way of hers but isn't love selfish to begin with? I beg you to keep yourself safe. May we meet again one day.

Regards,

Your Juliet.

Holding the paper, Juliet's hands trembled slightly. How she wished she could just throw this letter away and pretend nothing had happened. Just a few days ago, she promised Edmund that she would stay with him forever and now she was breaking her promise.

"I'm so sorry, Edmund. I had to do this. I love you," Juliet whispered.

**************

Edmund stood outside of Juliet's door. In his hands were the freshest flowers he had picked from his private nursery and he instantly smiled at the thought of seeing Juliet again.

"M'lord, you seem unusually happy," his manservant, who had been standing next to him, commented.

Edmund raised his eyebrows. "Are you insinuating that I'm always brooding?"

"M'lord. You've mistaken my words." The manservant bowed. "What I meant to say was that you always carry a serious expression. It is only when you visit Lady Juliet do you smile."

Edmund laughed a deep baritone laughter. "I reckon that's true." He couldn't help but involuntarily smile. Juliet was the sunshine that brightened his day and he longed for the day he could make her his.

It certainly didn't help that he desired her in a physical way as well and he knew that she felt the same way too.

A man can only have a limited amount of restraint.

Nodding on the door, Edmund waited patiently for the clutter of footsteps but when everything remained silent for a while, he frowned. It was unusual for no one to be alone at this time of the day.

Pushing the door open, Edmund stepped into the house and paused. There was no noise and he quickly headed to Juliet's bedroom swiftly.

Flinging the door open, he quickly surveyed the room. The bed was neatly made and everything was in order but his gut instinct told him otherwise.

Almost fearfully, he threw open the wardrobe doors and stared in horror at the missing clothes. His heart wrenched and he threw the flowers on the floor.

"M'lord?" The manservant peered into the room. "Has anything happened?"

"She disappeared," Edmund growled. Had the Ouroboros clan taken her?

Suddenly, he spotted the flimsy note on the dressing table. Crossing the room in hurried steps, he took up the note and scanned through it.

"Damn it. Damn it," Edmund muttered.

"M'lord, whatever has happened?" The manservant asked worriedly.

Crushing the paper, Edmund growled, "Gather all our men and commence a search for Lady Juliet immediately."

"Has something happened to her?"

"Don't question my command," Edmund snapped and the manservant disappeared fearfully.

Left alone in the room, Edmund stared at the squashed flowers on the floor and his heart wrenched.

Juliet had escaped. Where had she gone to? There was something ominous and strange about it. Was it because she eloped with another man? Impossible. He knew that she loved him.

What exactly was the reason then?