Return of A Good Friend

"Lady Juliet, you have a visitor," Sophie, the only parlour maid they could afford, said softly.

Juliet didn't register any of Sophie's words. Instead, she stared off into space, thinking about Edmund Aughust again. This was the only thing she had been doing for the past few days ever since the horse-riding incident.

It was pitiful and foolish, yes, for her to be pining after a man but no matter how much she tried to repel thoughts of Edmund Aughust from her mind, his image kept creeping in every now and then. That infuriating man, how dare he plague her thoughts all the time?

"Lady Juliet?"

"Sorry?" Juliet snapped out of her reverie.

"You have a visitor, m'lady," Sophie repeated patiently.

Her heart instantly constricted. Could it be Edmund Aughust? It certainly fitted his personality for him to be so forthright in his advances. Certainly, it wouldn't surprise her that he had come to propose to her this moment. But of course, this was nothing but an idealistic fantasy of hers.

"Leave me and attend to our visitor first. I will be down shortly," she said.

"As you wish, m'lady." Sophie bowed and retreated hastily from the room before closing the door and giving her some privacy.

Lady Juliet looked into her wardrobe and frowned. All her dresses were from last season and not made with the latest fashion and cut. Normally, she wouldn't have minded but she wanted to give Edmund Aughust a good impression.

After all, what would he think if he kept seeing her in old dresses? Everyone knew about her family's financial state but that didn't meant that she had to make people remember and pity her for it.

She selected a violet-purple frilly dress that had faded somewhat in colour but was nonetheless, the best she had at the moment. She powdered her face and applied a little rouge on her cheeks.

In the mirror, Juliet saw the reflection of a plain girl who had dishevelled and frizzy red hair. Nothing like the soft, brown hair of Titania. She had never spent much time on her appearance for a man and this was indeed the first of many.

Perhaps, this was foolish. Perhaps, this was all for naught. Perhaps, she had misinterpreted Edmund Aughust's meaning.

Without hesitating, Juliet sweeped out of the room and descended down the staircase. As she stepped into the parlour, she saw a broad-shouldered and tall man standing by the window.

He turned and Juliet gasped in delight. It wasn't Edmund Aughust but it was perhaps the next person she would have wanted to see.

"Jasper!" She stepped forward and hugged him. This was perhaps unacceptable behavior for an unwed woman but she cared nothing about social customs right now. Her best friend was finally back.

"Juliet!" Viscount Jasper hugged her back.

As both of them drew back breathlessly, he smiled. "You look well," he said cheerily.

Juliet couldn't help but smile brightly back. She first saw Jasper when he, as a young boy, had sneaked into her house to spy on Titania. When she realised that there was another admirer of her sister who had intruded into the room, she smacked him and pounded him hard on the chest.

In defence, she wouldn't have attacked him if he had gone through the front door. Only people of questioning background come in from the windows. It was common knowledge.

Thankfully, one good thing came out of that incident. They became friends because of their similar, fiery characters from deep within. As a woman, Juliet could only display a demure, weak exterior but Jasper was the only one who truly understood her.

Three years back, he left the town to manage some of his father's estates in the rural countryside and she had missed him terribly. He was like the brother she never had. The one person she could count on in times of difficulties. In fact, she was closer to him that she had ever to Titania.

"You could have informed me earlier had you decided to return," Juliet said in an accusing voice.

"That wouldn't be fun, wouldn't it?" Jasper laughed in that booming, deep voice of his. "Tell me, what has happened after I had been gone all this while?"

As Juliet sat down with him and recounted all the events, Jasper listened intently.

After Juliet told him that Titania was engaged to Sir Bernard, Juliet said teasingly. "Are you disappointed that Titania is no longer available for marriage?"

"Pardon me?" Jasper frowned and gave her a puzzled look. "Why would I be disappointed?"

"Spare me, Jas." Juliet rolled her eyes. "You sneaked into our house at a tender age of 12 to look at Titania. Don't deny that you had a soft spot for her."

"Oh, that." Jasper shook his head. "That was nothing but a childish affection. Of course, the moment I met Titania's sister, everything changed," he said lightly.

Juliet laughed. Half-expecting that Jasper would laugh with her at his joke, she was slightly puzzled to find him staring at her with a serious expression.

She coughed awkwardly. "Tell me, Jas, have you found yourself a wife while you were away?" she asked.

Indeed, she initially wished for Jasper to marry Titania because they were a good match. Jasper was a kind, humorous yet playful person and Titania would be happy with him. Furthermore, if he was her brother-in--law, she would have been happier. Like her, he hated Mrs Rosewood for her frivolous, money-grubbing ways and having him in the family would lessen the pressure she felt.

"No, I haven't," he answered shortly.

"Well," Juliet said brightly. "I can help you find a good wife. "

"Actually," Jasper said slowly. "I've already had my eyes set on someone."

"Really?" She smiled. "Do I know her?"

Jasper paused, as if seriously contemplating his answer. "No, you don't," he said, looking away from her gaze.

"What's she like?" Juliet asked curiously. She wondered who was the fortunate girl who had managed to catch the eye of the famed playboy of the British haute society. Of course, she knew that Jasper didn't usually sleep around. He just liked the attention of women. Still, it was unusual for Jasper to be so serious about a lady.

"She's kind and warm-hearted." Jasper hesitated. "It's hard for me to describe her but to me, she's an angel."

"I'm happy for you, Jas." Juliet grabbed his hand. "I trust your judgement. You have to invite me to your wedding. Promise?"

Jasper gave her a queer look but he laughed, back to his cheery self.

"I promise," he said seriously. "You will be there at the wedding."