Opulence

Juliet surveyed her reflection in the mirror. She was wearing a crisp, blue gown but her face was sunken and sallow which contrasted starkly with her blood-shot eyes, a result from days of crying.

She was due to attend a dinner hosted by Baron Cumbrust but her heart ached so much that the emotional pain was almost unbearable.

Mrs Rosewood refused to let her miss this function because it would be a complete insult to Baron Cumbrust, the Queen's favourite.

The door opened and Sophie entered to help her. "Lady Juliet, are you fine?" the maid asked worriedly as she did the back buttons of the dress.

"I'm fine," Juliet said hesitantly, trying to keep herself from bursting into tears.

"Do you need me to accompany you, m'lady?" Sophie asked with concern etched on her face.

"You should stay here with Mrs Rosewood and Titania." Juliet gave her a sad smile. "Titania's pretty upset that she hadn't been invited."

"Don't worry m'lady, Lord Edmund will wake up soon," Sophie said and brushed Juliet's hair. "He must be foolish to believe that you are consorting with Lord Jasper."

"I hope so," Juliet sighed.

*************

Baron Cumbrust's house was opulent and lavish. No wonder the Queen wanted to stay here. There was the smell of old money everywhere and despite her sad mood, Juliet couldn't help but feel a little awed by the decor.

"Lady Juliet," Baron Cumbrust exclaimed, took her hand and kissed it.

She withdrew her hand back with a cringe. "Baron Cumbrust," she said a little stiffly. She didn't have the patience or mood to deal with a lecherous old man.

"Welcome, welcome to my humble home," he said jovially.

"How humble," Juliet muttered under her breath and stepped into the room. A few nobleborns were lingering in small groups and she spotted Jasper who was tied up with another duke.

He smiled at her and she gave him a nod. Suddenly, she stopped cold.

Edmund was right there in the corner, staring at her openly. He was alone and his smothering green eyes immediately sought her out the moment she stepped into the room.

He took a step forward and looked as if he was about to start towards her. Panicking, Juliet headed to the only other alone person in the room, Lady Ariane.

"Lady Ariane," she said quickly and she noticed that Edmund had stopped and was still staring at her. Ignoring him, she continued. "How wonderful it is for you to invite all of us here."

Lady Ariane gave her a sad smile. "'Tis not my idea. It's Lady Serafina who's hosting the dinner. I'm afraid that I don't have much say in these matters."

Juliet felt a wave of sympathy for her. It wasn't easy to live with the Russian heiress. "If I may ask you one question, Lady Ariane," she paused. "Why did you decide to become Baron Cumbrust's...woman."

A flicker of sadness passed over Lady Ariane's beautiful, polished face. "If it were any other person asking this, I would have surely keep silent but you've been kind to me," she said softly. "I did it because of the money. At the whorehouse, there was always the possibility that I might be thrown onto the streets when I was deemed useless."

"Is it not the same with Baron Cumbrust?"

Lady Ariane shook her head, her face softening.

"In a way, yes. But now I only have to serve one man and I get to enjoy this luxury," she added with a smile. "I didn't have this much freedom when I was at the whorehouse and to be able to stand next to the nobleborns of society, I feel happy. Call it superficial, Lady Juliet, but if you've spent your entire life pleasing and bedding men, you would welcome any sort of respite."