Request

A/N: Hey guys, sorry that this is a short chapter.

The first thing Juliet heard when she woke up was screaming.

"Gracious!" She sat up instantly. Rubbing her eyes, she found Mathilda staring at her with a horrified look on her face.

"Lady Juliet, as a woman, surely you know that your actions are improper and cannot be condoned!" Mathilda flew into a rage. "Consorting with a man of an upper rank in such an open, vulgar manner is disgusting!"

"Come again?" A low voice rumbled.

Juliet spun her head around and found Edmund sitting up. He looked weary and tired but he was still an imposing figure.

"Master!" Mathilda bowed. "I will throw this vile woman out immediately as per your request."

"Hold your tongue, Mathilda," Edmund hissed. "Juliet's my personal guest."

He stood up and with a start, Juliet realised he was bare at the top. She blushed, having never seen a male semi-nude in her life but she couldn't help staring at his well-defined muscles.

"But m'lord!" Mathilda seemed visibly upset. "If word were to get out, your reputation would be shattered. Even if you had to dally with women, surely you had better taste than...?" Her eyes flickered to Juliet with distaste.

"STOP." Edmund crossed the room to reach Mathilda. "If you dare so much as breathe an improper word about Juliet, I won't hesitate to fire you. Even if you have served our family for more than two decades."

Mathilda gasped and realising the severity of the situation, she bowed. "I apologise for my imprudent behaviour, sir," she whispered quickly.

"Better." Edmund nodded. "Now leave us."

Juliet almost laughed as Mathilda darted her a resentful expression before moving out of the room silently. It was almost funny to see everyone fear Edmund.

As the door closed, Edmund turned towards her with an amused expression. "'Why are you laughing?" he asked.

Juliet shrugged and she noticed Edmund staring at her with an intense, longing expression.

"Is there something wrong with me?" she asked worriedly.

"Nothing, it's just...." Edmund looked discomfited. He tore his gaze away and closed his eyes. "It's so difficult for me to be around you."

"Do you regret professing your love with me?" Disappointment thudded in her heart but she should be used to it by now. Of course, all these were too good to be true.

"No." Edmund shook his head. "The sight of you, half-dressed and sitting on my bed, is too tempting."

Juliet gasped and she glanced down. She hadn't that she was wearing only a translucent chemise and she blushed furiously. No men had ever seen so much of her.

"I will just get dressed," she whispered and hurried to her wardrobe. "You should be on your way. Mathilda's right. It wouldn't do you good for you to be seen with me."

Edmund sighed. "Ignore Mathilda. When people reach a certain age, they tend to pick on little, inconsequential things."

"Still, age breeds wisdom," Juliet replied. "Don't you think her words make sense? After all, if you had chosen to be with another maiden like Titania, you will be well-respected by everyone."

"For the last time," Edmund said irritably. "I find that sister of yours not only disgusting but too vain for her own good. Frankly, I see nothing worthwhile in the depths of her moral character beneath that porcelain face."

"Fine," Juliet huffed. "Can you get out now? Unless you're planning to watch me change?"

Edmund stared at her intently and Juliet almost rolled her eyes. He smiled and walked out of the door, but not before giving her a last, lingering expression of longing.

********

"Good morning Juliet," Lady Irina greeted politely as Juliet appeared at the dining table. "Did you have a good night's sleep?"

Juliet almost caught her breath at the sight of Lady Irina. She wondered, not for the first time, how Lady Irina could make herself so presentable and beautiful at such an early hour.

"I slept well, thank-you." Juliet smiled and took her place at the table, but not before darting a look at Edmund who was calmly sipping his English tea and plainly ignoring her.

A servant appeared and handed her a bowl of steaming, green liquid. Juliet recognised it immediately and she felt only dread. Since she was still poisoned, she had to take regular intakes of soup brewed from patterned snake's skin.

She drank it quickly, hoping for the worst to be over as the disgusting liquid flowed down her throat. When she was finally done, she put down the plate and found Edmund staring at her.

Instead of looking away, Juliet stared back.

Seconds ticked by and she couldn't help but feel unnerved by Edmund's unblinking gaze.

Suddenly, a cough from Lady Irina brought an end to their staring contest. Edmund looked away first but Juliet was relieved to see a hint of smile tug his lips.

"Do you have any plans today?" Lady Irina asked, seeming bemused.

"No she doesn't," Edmund replied. "She's staying at home and having plenty of rest."

"I'm not fragile!" Juliet retorted. "I've every right to go out."

"Both of you are right." Lady Irina nodded. "However, Lady Syvil just sent an invitation. She invited you to spend the day at her residence."

"Indeed?" Juliet brightened. It had been a long time since she saw Syvil. "'Does she know about my illness?" she asked.

Lady Irina shook her head. "I merely said that you're here at my request to keep my company."

As breakfast finally reached an end, Juliet stood up and said, "I will be off now."

Lady Irina smiled and Edmund stood up. "I will accompany you to the door."

As chivalrous as it sounded, Juliet was slightly touched by his gesture. As she walked out of the monstrous mansion into the sunshine, she sighed with satisfaction.

"Take my horse carriage," Edmund whispered.

"Fine."

There was an awkward pause before Edmund kissed her lightly on the forehead.

"Be safe," he whispered.

"I promise." Juliet nodded before climbing onto the horse carriage.

The last thing she saw as she peered out of the window was Edmund staring after her.