Horse-Riding

For a few weeks, Juliet heard no news from Edmund Aughust and she decided it was just as well. It wasn't worth it for her to pine for someone of such high status even if they had been childhood friends. Until they received yet another invitation to a horse-riding event by Sir Bernard himself.

As Mrs Rosewood, Titania and her walked towards the field, Juliet wondered if her mysterious dance partner would be that. After all, given Edmund Aughust's cold attitude towards her at the dinner, she hardly considered him as the same man who had been so gracious and charming during the masquerade.

"Lady Rosewood, how fortunate to see you and your dear girls," Sir Bernard's mother, Lady Bernard smiled widely. Ignoring Juliet, she headed straight for Titania and patted her adoringly on the hand. "Darling, you look radiant as usual," she chirped brightly.

"Thank-you, Lady Bernard," Titania answered stiffly.

"Dearest, call me Luticia," Lady Bernard said warmly. "After all, once you wed our precious son, you will be part of our household." She then led a reluctant Titania to where Sir Bernard was standing in his horse-riding gear.

With her sister gone, Juliet turned her head and found Mrs Rosewood missing. She must have wandered off to find her friends. She sighed and walked over to where the majority of the ladies were standing. Of course, most of them were here to admire to fine physique and horse-riding ability of the men and she shuddered to think that there was still hours ahead of her.

"Juliet!" Countess Andrea's daughter, Syvil, called out excitedly the moment she saw her. Juliet gave her a genuine smile. Syvil was one of the ladies of her age who bothered to speak to her.

"Syvil," she greeted warmly and joined her. "I gather you are here to support Duke Roman?"

"Why, Juliet, how did you guess my intentions?" Syvil instantly blushed. "But you must admit, he's indeed dashing when he's riding a horse."

Juliet laughed. Syvil was indeed fortunate to have caught the eye of the witty and kind Cyrus Roman.  Although Syvil was not as pretty in the looks as Titania, she possessed a delightful sort of humor that nobody could resist.  

"Have you caught anyone's fancy yet?" Syvil gave her a curious look. "I recall seeing a certain gentleman dancing with you at the masquerade."

Juliet shook her head. "I haven't been able to find out his name nor his title. Perhaps fate means us not to be together."

"Indeed." Syvil got distracted. "Look, they are starting the race already," she added excitedly.

Juliet turned her head and saw the line of gentleman on their horses. Sir Bernard and Duke Roman were at the end of the line, gearing up to go. As she scanned the men, her heart jolted up slightly when she spotted Edmund Aughust.

He was the finest of the lot. His horse seemed fierce and wild but he had control of it. With his brown hair and emerald green eyes, he didn't look like just a mere earl. He looked like a prince.

As if sensing she was looking at him, Edmund Aughust turned his head and caught her eye. His face turned into a look of a surprise and he held up his hand to acknowledge her.

Juliet blushed and looked away. This was indeed embarrassing- for a lady to be caught gawking at a gentleman. What would Mrs Rosewood say of such unbecoming behaviour of a lady?

With the sound of a horn, all the horses started up and dashed towards the finishing line. Many of the ladies leapt up in excitement and started shouting out.

"My dear precious boy, win the lot of them!" Lady Bernard called out. Juliet noticed Titania wasn't even paying attention to her fiancee. She seemed distracted and was gazing off into the distance whilst holding her parasol.

"Who do you think will win?" Syvil murmured.

"Ed-" Juliet started and then paused. "Pardon me, I meant Lord Edmund Aughust. He's the youngest of the lot and perhaps the most skilled at riding."

"I can't argue with that." Syvil smiled playfully. "Though I fancy my own fiancee to win."

Within minutes, the race ended and one of the servants called out victoriously, "Lord Edmund Aughust wins the race!"

Some of the ladies seemed disappointed but the men looked mostly unperturbed. They slapped Edmund Aughust on the back and congratulated him.

"Fine race. I look forward to racing you again." Juliet heard Duke Roman talk to Edmund Aughust as if they were lads who had grown up together. She distinctly recalled Duke Roman shunning Edmund when they were young but perhaps this was all in the past.

"How did you get so good?" Sir Bernard asked a little aggressively.

"Practice," Edmund Aughust answered curtly. He didn't seem to like Sir Bernard very much.

Juliet stood in the distance, watching him as some of the ladies went up to their respective gentleman. To her surprise, Edmund Aughust spotted her and started striding towards her direction.

"I didn't think for a moment that you would come," Edmund Aughust said quietly.

Juliet remained silent for a moment as she observed him. His face, glinting with sweat, was muscular and angular and perhaps, too attractive for her liking. Seeing him staring intently at her, she cough and said, "My step-mother requires me to attend all these functions."

"Why?"

"So that I can perhaps wed someone by the time I turn 30," she said a little sarcastically.

"I'm sorry," he continued solemnly.

"For what?"

"For unintentionally insulting your pride the other day," Edmund Aughust continued. "It was ungentlemanly of me to say all those things to you."

For a moment, Juliet's heart constricted in pain but she forced a smile. "No worries, Lord Aughust, those were nothing but the true. I won't take it to heart."

"But I mean it," he said intently. "I meant it when I told you you were beautiful."

When Juliet didn't answer, Edmund Aughust stepped towards her. She flinched and took a step back. Unmarried men and women didn't behave so intimately. She didn't want the others to get the wrong impression.

"I know," Juliet whispered. "I just wished I believed in it. Not everyone shares your faith, Lord Aughust."

He paused and frowned. "I will aid you in changing that, Juliet."

"As you wish, Lord Aughust." She bowed. "I must get going this instant. My step-mother is expecting me."

"One more thing," he said in a low voice.

"Yes?"

"Don't call me Lord Aughust. Call me Edmund," he finished, gave her a polite smile and walked off in the opposite direction.