Theatre

The next day, Juliet appeared in the living room in her elegant blue velvet gown. With a silver embroidered corset,  this was indeed the loveliest dress she had owned. It was sleeveless and her appearance was accompanied by a pair of silk elbow-length gloves. For the first time, she felt that she could be as pretty as Titania and invite some courting as well.

There was just one problem. The dress' front was cut low into an empire-cut neckline, leaving little of her upper torso up to imagination. She supposed this was a flattering fashion but she could have preferred something conservative.

No doubt the evil Madame Ethel had tried to save her precious silk material by leaving her exposed as much as possible.

As soon as she appeared in the living room, Mrs Rosewood gasped. "Where did you get the dress? Did you pinch it from my wardrobe?" she demanded angrily.

Juliet shook her head. "Mother, this was a present by Lord Aughust."

"Edmund Aughust?" Mrs Rosewood retorted disbelievingly. Her beady eyes swept down her gown before narrowing in suspicion. "Why would he give you such an expensive gift?"

"I'm unaware of his true intentions," Juliet whispered. It was true. She didn't know what game Edmund Aughust was playing at.

"Where's that sister of yours?" Mrs Rosewood snapped.

"She's unwell today, Mother," Juliet echoed. Of course she couldn't tell her step-mother the truth.

"Does she think her looks are enough to secure Sir Bernard's affections?" Mrs Rosewood snapped, fanning herself in frustration. "Such a foolish girl. This is an important engagement. Doesn't she understand that her presence is essential?"

Juliet merely nodded. This evening, they were due to attend a play held at the Scotts' Theatre Company, owned by Baron Crumbust, a renowned womanizer and powerful member of the court.

"Prepare the carriage," Mrs Rosewood ordered. "We need to be fashionably punctual for our engagement."

********

As the horse carriage pulled up to a humongous, imposing brick-red building, Juliet stared at the brass plaque outside which read, "Scotts' Theatre Company- For the Royals and the Commoners."

She snorted. It was common knowledge that the commoners had no use for entertainment. They were too pre-occupied with their own livelihoods. Only the nobles who had inherited old money could afford to waste so much money on it.

As Mrs Rosewood and her stepped into the building, they were instantly greeted by Baron Cumbrust alongside with two ladies by his side.

"Welcome, welcome, my ladies." He gave a low, throaty laugh as he peered interestedly at Juliet. "And who's this lovely lady?"

"This is my step-daughter, Lady Juliet," Mrs Rosewood greeted pleasantly.

Usually, Juliet would step up and shake the host's hand as a gesture of goodwill but something about Baron Cumbrust's manner made her stop.  He was staring at her with lust-filled eyes as his eyes strayed to her neckline every now and then.

"Such an enchanting lady," he said huskily as he licked his lips before holding out his hand.

Juliet stared at it for a moment and Mrs Rosewood prodded her from behind. "Shake it, you idiotic girl," she hissed. "Don't make me lose my face of all days."

With no other choice, she dutifully stepped towards him and shook his hand as quickly as possible. However, as soon as she tried to extract her hand, his grip on her tightened.