Dance

"Now, remember, Titania, focus all your attention on Sir Bernard. Don't let him pay any ounce of attention on other girls," Mrs Rosewood reminded again. "Secure his affections and constantly compliment him. Men usually has a large ego."

"Yes, Mother," Titania retorted back sarcastically, smoothened her splendid red dress, put on her mask and fluttered off to join the dance.

Juliet sighed. She was stuck in yet another masquerade with Mrs Rosewood and Titania. The same situation would happen again. Titania would always get whisked off by some other honorable gentleman for a dance while Juliet would remain a wallflower for the rest of the night, with Mrs Rosewood and her bunch of tittering upper-class old ladies as companions. It wasn't an ideal way to spend time.

"As for you." Mrs Rosewood turned towards her. "For goodness sake, try to attract someone's attention so that you can get married off as soon as possible!" She sounded exasperated but of course, she had the right to be. Juliet hadn't invited any courting or flirting from anyone. It was troubling to say the least.

The soft, sweet music started up and around her, couples swayed to the beat of the tune. Juliet withdrew and tried to make herself inconspicuous. Her plain red mask was nothing compared to Titania's one. But her sister was ravishing while for her, even a grand mask could not make her as beautiful as Titania.

It was hard to pick out familiar faces with all the shiny, elaborate masks though she recognised a few people. There was Countess Andrea's daughter, Syvil, leaning blissfully against the shoulder off her fiancee, Duke Roman. Titania was dancing with Sir Bernard but she didn't look the last pleased. In fact, she looked disgusted. As if oblivious to Titania's bad mood, Sir Bernard just kept on waltzing away.

"Hello," a soft, musical voice sounded out.

Startled, Juliet turned to find herself staring at a tall, broad-shouldered man with startling emerald green eyes. She examined his features and found him unrecognisable.

"Sorry, you are...?" she asked softly. Maybe he was new in town. That would explain why he was talking to her, the little ugly debutante.

"I'm not supposed to divulge my name until the end of the party, am I?" he laughed.

"Aren't you the least bit curious as to who I am?" Juliet raised her eyebrows.

"I know who you are. Ms Juliet Rosewood, am I correct?" His eyes twinkled with amusement.

"How did you know?" Juliet demanded.

"That's a secret for you to guess." His lips curved into a sensuous smile. "Now will you dance with me?" He held out his hand.

What? Juliet stared at his hand as if an alien had sprouted. "Why would you dance with me of all people?" she asked disbelievingly. Surely he can see that there are many prettier dance partners out there? Is he blind?

"Why wouldn't I?" he asked, genuinely confused.

Juliet pursed her lips. It was a rare opportunity for her to be invited for a dance but if this turned out to be a prank like the other time....Oh well, she should just seize this chance.

"I would gladly, sir." She bowed, took his hand and allowed him to lead her to the bright dance floor.

As the music struck up a different tune, Juliet allowed herself to immerse in the moment. Her mysterious partner was a good dancer, not like some of the young gentleman who danced as if they had two left feet. Or the lecherous old men who stumbled along drunk and wasted. It was nice to dance with a proper gentleman.

"Are you having a good time?" he whispered by her ear.

"Yes, you can't imagine how pleasant this feels," she murmured. "I rarely dance with anyone."

"Really?" He sounded astonished as they waltzed near Titania and Sir Bernard. When Titania saw her, she raised her eyebrows and eyed her mysterious dance partner speculatively.

"I thought men would be fighting to dance with you," he continued.

Juliet laughed. Was he cracking a bad joke on her? "Surely you must see that all the ladies in these room are much finer and beautiful than me," she said in a teasing voice but her heart constricted in pain. This was a sensitive topic she didn't feel like discussing with anyone.

He smiled, leant in towards her and whispered, "I think you're much prettier than the rest of them."

He's lying. He's just flirting with you. Sugar-honey words that don't mean anything. But it was still nice to hear someone attempting to compliment you.

"Well, I'm flattered," she replied dryly. She spotted her step-mother in the distance, staring at her open-mouthed. She chuckled silently to herself.

As the music came to an end and everyone embraced their partners, Juliet stepped back and bowed. "Thank-you for the dance. It was magical," she said quietly.

He didn't reply. He just kept on staring at her as if she was a puzzle. "I enjoyed the dance myself," he added softly. He took her hand and kissed it lightly.

"May we meet again. Hopefully I will know your name by then." Juliet smiled.

"Same to you," he answered seriously. His green eyes twinkled with pleasure and he bowed once again before retreating to another room.

Juliet stared after him and gave a little sigh.