Part 13

"I mean... Why bother staying? I certainly wouldn't," Charlotte points out, and Conrad sits up on her bed, her hair falling around her face.

"No, you totally would, and we both know it. I'm giving him until tonight to make up his mind, I'm not an unreasonable person," Conrad responds, tucking her phone between her shoulder and ear and she continues to chat to her friend.

"Yeah, I suppose. Do you not feel betrayed?" Charlotte asks, and Conrad rolls her eyes, pulling her laptop closer to her.

"Why would I feel betrayed? He screwed her before he knew I existed, it's not like he cheated," Conrad sighs, and Charlotte grumbles.

"Did you tell him he has until tonight?" Charlotte murmurs and Conrad stays silent for a moment, staring at the wall blankly.

"Con?" Charlotte calls through the phone, wondering if she's lost connection.

Conrad blinks, snapping out of her daze.

"No. He's downstairs; I think he just got back from his run. I'm going to tell him now, I don't want it to be hanging over me all day," Conrad finally responds, biting down on her lip.

"Do you want me to come down there? I have some leave I could take; I could be there in a few hours," Charlotte suggests, and Conrad feels a small smile grow on her face.

She surprises them both when a sob leaves her chest.

"Con? What's wrong, sweetheart, please talk to me," Charlotte pleads urgently, standing up from her desk.

The children haven't arrived in yet, and a glance at the clock tells her she has a few minutes.

She grabs her coat and her bag, clenching her jaw as she quickly hurries out of her classroom and down the hall.

Conrad continues to cry, and Charlotte grits her teeth.

"Baby, just stay where you are. I'll be there in a few hours, I can stay, or I can take you home. Don't tell him, get his sister to approve it," Charlotte adds, and Conrad whimpers.

"I don't know what the hell I'm supposed to tell my mum and dad. Imagine your child coming home after she left with her mate. They'll be so embarrassed," Conrad cries, resting her face in her hand.

Some of her tears drip onto her blanket, and she wipes them away furiously, blinking the newer ones away.

"Char, stay at work. It'll be okay, I'm fine, I'm just being dramatic," Conrad manages to get out, trying her best to keep her voice steady as she raises a shaky hand to head.

"Conrad, don't you dare tell me to stay here. I'm already leaving, I'm checking out of work. I'll ring you back when I get into my car," Charlotte growls down the phone, hanging up and putting her phone into her bag.

She pops her head into the principal's office, giving her a tight smile.

"Sorry, I have a family emergency. I know it's short notice, I'm probably going to be gone three days. I have to go up North," Charlotte clears her throat, making eye contact with the older woman.

"Oh, what happened?" The lady asks, pressing her hands together in concern.

"I don't know yet. Probably a death if I don't get up there," Charlotte mutters, shaking her head.

"Oh, go, don't worry. I'll get your classes covered, we'll just say you had planned these days off since last month," the principal urges, shooing her out of her office.

"Thanks," Charlotte smiles weakly, storming out of the school and to her car.

Conrad is terrified.