Part 38

The arrival back to the Capital was confusing.

Some of the High Alphas did not approve of Carlos going after Atlas alone, but most agreed that he would have been tough to find without Conrad escorting them.

The disapproving High Alphas got worse when they were informed that Conrad would be her ex-mate's girlfriend's birthing partner.

Conrad was relatively uninterested in their disapproval. She knows how it looks, because it does look very weird, but she's more concerned about the labouring teenager.

Her arrival to the delivery room was met with surprise, especially from Meg herself.

Conrad hadn't seen the girl since the bond breaking, and she barely recognises her.

Her blond hair is now a light brown, and her skin is almost grey; Conrad doesn't envy her in the slightest. Pups drain your energy at the best of times, and having three of them at once seems like a living nightmare to Conrad.

She would feel bad, but this girl did play a part in destroying her mate bond.

"Hi Laurie, hi Meg," Conrad greets them both gently, giving Laurie a gentle hug.

"I'll leave you both alone now, if you want me to," Laurie smiles, and Meg looks at her fearfully.

Conrad notices this look; someone a mile away probably would.

"I have no intention of harming you or your children. I am here to support you, because I know your family isn't coming to help," Conrad promises, sliding into the seat beside the bed awkwardly.

She's panicking inside because she has no idea what happens in childbirth.

She's never witnessed a birth, and she's never had to help a labouring she-wolf, but she doesn't let this panic show outwardly.

She simply smiles and offers Meg her hand, which the girl takes nervously.

Laurie nods to Conrad, pointing to her phone and giving her a thumbs up before leaving the room quickly.

"How is it going, Meg? How do you feel?" Conrad asks, and Meg shrugs nervously, her heartbeat increasing quickly.

"We never had the opportunity to be introduced. My name is Conrad; I'm a future Beta and the current Head Tracker for High Alpha Amaretti. We just went and caught Atlas, so he's going to be back in the cells. I can't imagine how upsetting this situation is for you, but I am going to be here for you the entire time you're in this room, I promise," Conrad says evenly.

She's not trying to fill the silence; she's genuinely interested in calming Meg down.

She doesn't know much about health or what's healthy, but she does know that Meg getting upset or distressed can't be too good for her babies.

Wow, Marcy would be so proud of me right now; I haven't even freaked out yet, Conrad thinks to herself. Jane scoffs at her.

"I'm Meg. You know that. I didn't mean to take Atlas, I didn't. I didn't want this, I don't even want one baby. I don't care that he's not here, I don't want him here," Meg hurriedly explains, putting her second hand on the back of Conrad's single one.

Conrad isn't sure what to do with the gesture, giving her a tight smile in response.

"Well, he won't be near you or the children for a while. He's going to be kept on a very short leash because of his stupidity," Conrad responds after a minute, and she can see some of the tension evaporate from Meg's shoulders.

"Good. I don't want him near the children," Meg mumbles, looking over to the window.

It's surprisingly sunny; the weather forecast had said it would be rainy and stormy for most of the day.