Part 18

As soon as she was back in her room, she had texted Charlotte about the entire date, from what they both wore, to how he spoke to the servers, to what he ordered.

Charlotte got more of a run-down than a journalist on a court-case story would have.

Charlotte didn't reply; it was after ten, much to her shock.

Did we really spend four hours with him?, Jane asks in abject horror.

I think we might have. And they were four great hours, Conrad cheers gleefully, kicking off her heels and twirling around her room, her large handbag pressed to her chest as she dances.

Hussy, Jane teases playfully, but she's on the exact same page.

She's happy, and Conrad is thrilled with that.

She's glad they made the decision to go out with Derek.

Even if nothing comes of it, she doesn't care,

She had fun, and that's just what the doctor ordered.

Speaking of the doctor, Jake had been texting her for most of the evening.

She had replied whenever she went to the bathroom, and she was enjoying the funny banter that they always had.

Charlotte was thrilled, and Conrad had been updating her most of the night.

To go from no guys in sight, with no mate, straight into two guys who were both interested in her? Charlotte was convinced that the Moon Goddess had a soft spot for Conrad, even if she did have to handle Atlas for a few days.

She gets ready for bed, the tiredness finally hitting her.

She had been awake since 6 am that morning because she had decided to be the first into the office; something she regretted when she arrived, and it was freezing cold because nobody had turned the heat on before they left the night before.

Taking her makeup off, she winks at herself in the mirror, the soft material of her pyjamas calming her down a little.

She was so thrilled over the date; she was usually a bumbling mess, anxious and all over the place on first dates, but Derek had been different.

He had given her some sort of inner calm, and Jane had even relaxed with him.

Their meeting wasn't great, but the date more than made up for it, even if he did complain about his nose for ten straight minutes during the dessert portion of the date.

As soon as she falls asleep, she's plagued by nightmares.

She sees everyone she knows dead, with their heads on stakes.

Wherever she looks, somebody else she knows is struck down in front of her, including her parents.

Atlas is the last stop of her dream, but he's the only one other than her alive.

He's bloodthirsty and slashes her throat without a second thought.

With that, she awakens with a start, her whole body covered in a thin layer of cold sweat while she shakes.

Conrad always had nightmares as a kid; Barbara said it was a way of her creativeness leaving her body, but Silas had said it was the Moon Goddesses way of warning her about the future.

For her sanity's sake, she decided to believe Barbara, slowly getting out of bed after turning the lights on.

She paces the large room for a few minutes, trying to burn off some of her anxious energy.