Part 24

Charlotte isn't sure what to do.

She's completely torn between going home, or staying with her mate.

She hasn't had a chance to fully contemplate how she feels about finding her mate, but one look at Conrad tells her that she's going to have plenty of time to figure it out.

"What's his name?" Conrad asks, and Charlotte sits up on the bed, the sheets gathering around her waist.

"Matt Keller," she informs her best friend, and Conrad makes a 'hmm' noise.

"It's a nice name. He seems like an okay guy; he made sure you were okay before we were allowed leave," Conrad reasons.

She's thrilled for her friend; Charlotte deserves someone as amazing as she is, and although she isn't sure if Matt is that guy, she thinks it's worth a try to find out. She's willing to give him a chance; she's delighted for the girl who has always wanted to find her mate.

She can sense Charlotte is hesitant, though, and Conrad is determined to find out why.

If it's because of her, it certainly won't be for long. Her singleness doesn't matter; she wants Charlotte to have the fairytale every girl dreams of.

"Yeah, it's a good name. He let us leave, though," Charlotte mumbles, biting her lip nervously.

"No, Char. He let me leave," Conrad protests gently, looking up at Charlotte from where she's laying.

"But he didn't try to stop me. Do you think that means he doesn't really want me?" Charlotte asks.

Conrad, for once, knows exactly how she feels, and she's determined to pull Charlotte out of that.

"Lottie, he said he was going to come to see you tonight. He's on a shift; he seemed like he was the only doctor there. He wants to get to know you before he jumps into mating. He's a respectful guy, if Atlas and I had courted before moving in together, things could have worked out differently," Conrad points out, kicking her legs up in the air as she tries to get comfortable on the bed.

The door bursts open, revealing Jeanne.

She has three bags of chips and a massive bar of chocolate in one arm, and a bottle of vodka in the other hand.

"I'm back, bitches," she declares, frowning at Charlotte's downcast expression.

"Is this over her doctor?" Jeanne asks, putting the vodka down and then launching herself onto the bed, landing at both of their feet.

"What if he doesn't want me?" Charlotte asks, her brows furrowed.

"Hey, stop that. He wants you, he's just busy," Jeanne slaps Charlotte's calf.

A knock on the half-open door causes Conrad to groan.

The other two girls had opened it the last two knocks, so it was her turn.

She drags herself out of the bed, fixing her tank top and pyjama bottoms.

"Hey Connie," Carlos smiles, and Conrad raises a brow, excusing herself from the room and closing the door behind her.

"Oooh, 'Connie'," Charlotte shouts after her, giggling.

"What's up?" She asks, folding her arms across her chest.

The room they were in is nice and warm.

The hallway is not.

Charlotte and Conrad had decided to stay a night, Conrad using the excuse of being afraid she might faint again on the aeroplane. In reality, she was determined to get Matt to talk to Charlotte.