Part 57

Gradually, throughout the day, the rogues were rounded up by the guards and High Alphas.

It was noted that High Alpha Nicola McCann was missing, and an investigation in her office uncovered some of her shady dealings.

Conrad didn't even have to mention the kidnapping or murder plots; she was on the hook for smuggling children. There was a warrant out for her capture, and the Alphas had forwarded it to the bounty hunters; she would be caught in a matter of hours, not days.

Carlos' father was on the missing list, too, even though the territory had been combed for him.

Reluctantly, Carlos left the office with Sabrina and Conrad once the door was fixed.

As they left the building, the number of guards milling around and checking identification badges was higher than Conrad had ever seen.

For every civilian or worker, there seemed to be at least three soldiers.

"There are so many people everywhere," Sabrina mumbles, dragging out of Carlos' arm.

She's half-asleep. She had been spoonfed soup by one of the interns as she was falling asleep, so they didn't mind her being drowsy. She'd be able to go to bed as soon as they got home.

Carlos had the glass fixed in his room, and they had guards waiting outside the house for them to enter.

Conrad drives them home in his car, observing the destruction outside of the vehicle.

Signs were torn down, and cars were vandalised. The rogues only wanted to cause problems and minor irritations; nobody had been particularly hurt in the raids, apart from Charlotte.

Thinking of her friend causes a lump to appear in her throat, something she swallows.

Carlos notices her furrowed brows, and he can feel her upset through their link.

He gently pats her on the thigh, glancing over his shoulder at a sleeping Sabrina.

Conrad pulls into the drive, taking a second for herself while Carlos takes Sabrina out of the car.

She closes her eyes and does some quick breathing, listening to the light rain on the window shield.

After she hears the front door open, she gets out of the car, grabbing her handbag as she does.

Carlos is waiting for her on the step, Sabrina in his arms.

He offers her his hand, and she gladly takes it, linking their fingers.

"Order pizza. I'll be down in a minute," he murmurs gently.

She nods, taking her phone out and pressing the number she saved for the pizza place.

While Carlos walks up the stairs, she lingers in the hallway, turning on the lights and leaning against the wall.

"Hello, Pizza Palace. What can I get you?" The young boy on the phone chirps.

"Hi, two pizzas. One ham and one pepperoni, please," she responds, peering at her nails.

She might book an appointment to get them done; they look a little bit sad.

"Perfect. That'll be with you guys in fifteen minutes," the boy quickly replies, "the total is fifteen dollars, seventy-five cents."

Conrad waits for him to hang up, and when he does, Carlos hops off the last step.

"Ordered," she sighs, pocketing her phone.

"Come here," he murmurs, opening his arms for her.

She happily obeys, resting her head against his chest and closing her eyes again.