Part 46

Carlos bursts into the hospital, his hair dripping onto his already sodden shirt.

"Room 76?" He pants to the front desk, looming down at the woman.

She stares up at him blankly, chewing on her gum.

"Name and relation to the patient?" She drawls.

"My name is Carlos. Her name is Conrad Rosser. I'm her fiance," he bluffs, his irritation rising with every smack of gum.

He hates human spaces at the best of times, but human hospitals really bother him.

It's not only the risk of exposure that stresses him out, but also the noise and disorganisation.

"Fine. Turn left at the end of the hall, and keep walking. Look at the numbers; knock before you go in. She's on her own," she drones.

Carlos is gone like a bullet from a gun as soon as she finishes speaking, following her instructions until he's standing outside of the brown door.

He forgets to knock, walking in and coming face to face with a scowling lady.

"Out, knock first," she snaps.

Carlos blushes, turning on his heel, closing the door, and then knocking.

After a few seconds, he opens the door, now being greeted by a smiling lady.

"Very good. You must be the man I've heard so much about," she comments.

Carlos doesn't really know what to say to her, so he offers her an awkward smile and slides around the side of her to see Conrad, who looks remarkably pale.

She's usually pale, but the ink from the tattoos on her arms look like pen on paper.

"Baby," he breathes, hugging her gingerly.

Conrad doesn't raise her arms, her eyes glued to the end of the bed.

"What happened to her?" He asks, sitting on the chair beside the bed as he rests his hand on top of hers.

"Well, she fainted. It's always safer to bring patients in when things like this happen, and it's lucky that we did!" The nurse smiles, reorganising things beside the sink in the room.

Conrad is still motionless, and Carlos is getting increasingly worried.

"Why is it lucky that you did?" He urges, standing up.

"Why don't you ask the lovely lady beside you! It's her news!" She cheers, "I'll leave you two alone. Ring the bell if you need any help!"

The nurse leaves the room, whistling to herself.

Once the door closes, Conrad turns to look at him robotically.

"What's wrong?" He asks, kneeling beside the bed.

His mind is racing with possibilities, and he doesn't like any of them.

She doesn't reply, her hand shakily coming up to cover her mouth.

"Baby, what did she say? Was she rude? I can get her fired if we need to. You don't need to worry about anything. If you're sick, I'll take care of you and everything you need. You just need to tell me what's wrong," he pleads, clasping her free hand.

She looks up at him, and he's taken aback by how miserable she looks.

"I'm pregnant," she breathes, her eyes immediately filling with tears.

Carlos' jaw drops as he stares at her, standing up from his spot on the floor.

He runs his hands through his hair as he begins pacing along the bottom of the bed, his face paling to match hers.