Part 35

"I'm not letting you sleep in a room by yourself," Carlos repeats, his jaw clenched and his arms folded.

"I'm not letting you watch me sleep!" Conrad replies, completely exasperated.

"I don't want to watch you sleep; I just want to make sure nobody kidnaps you," he shoots back, pacing in front of the bedrooms.

"Carlos, why would anyone kill me? I'm a tracker; nobody knows who I am! You're delusional," Conrad complains, slamming the door to the guest bedroom.

"Get changed and come into my room. I don't want you to die," he yells through the thick wood, rubbing his head.

He's tired. The day had emotionally exhausted him, and he sent an email to his therapist asking for a meeting tomorrow instead of the one he had booked last month for the following week.

She hadn't gotten back to him yet, but sending the email had calmed him down enough to function moderately appropriately.

He strolls into his bedroom, stripping off his shirt and wandering over to his chest of drawers, digging through the stacks of clothes in an attempt to find some pyjamas.

He doesn't want to make her uncomfortable by sleeping the way he usually does, in just his boxers. The only pyjamas he has are long-sleeved, and he reluctantly climbs into them, the material brushing against his skin and making him a little jittery.

He usually sleeps freely because he doesn't like constraints.

A knock on his door echoes throughout the room, and he clears his throat.

"Yeah, come in," he calls, trying to calm himself down with his eyes closed.

"I can't believe you're making me do this," Conrad scowls, stomping into the room with her toothbrush in her hand.

Her pyjamas are adorable, and they make a smile grow on his lips that he can't stop.

"Bunnies?" He asks, trying not to laugh.

"Yes, bunnies. Do you have an issue with my bunnies?" She asks, a smile twitching at the corners of her lips.

Don't let him win. Dead bunnies, bad wine, crap books. Don't smile, look miserable, Jane encourages desperately.

Conrad straightens up, walking towards the bathroom.

"No, I actually love bunnies. They're one of my favourite animals. Sabrina loves them," he grins, fixing the duvet on the bed.

"I'm going to brush my teeth," she announces, and he looks up at her, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm going to join you in a minute; go ahead. The toothpaste is on the bottom shelf of the cabinet," he informs her, picking up his phone.

He sets his alarms reluctantly, running a hand through his hair.

Can we not take a day off tomorrow? Someone is trying to kill us, Blaze complains.

If we took a day off every day someone was trying to kill us, we'd go to work once a month; if we were lucky, Carlos responds to his wolf, rolling his eyes.

And we'd still get everything done! I don't know why you go in every day! You don't need to, and nobody else does, Blaze whines.

You know exactly why I go in every day. It boosts employee morale, Carlos sighs.

No, it boosts Conrad's morale, don't act like I can't see your thoughts, Blaze taunts him.

Carlos blocks his wolf from speaking, the scowl more pronounced on his face.