Part 59

Everyone seems to be dropping dead around her.

Conrad is musing to herself as she sits on the kitchen floor, her back against the wooden cupboards and a carton of orange juice in her hands. She had gotten dizzy while pouring a glass a few minutes ago and had opted to settle on the tiles and drink from the carton.

She can hear footsteps on the stairs, and she looks over to the doorway.

Sabrina appears at the end of the steps, absorbed by the book in her hands.

So distracted is she, that she narrowly avoids tripping over Conrad's out-stretched legs.

"Why are you on the ground?" Sabrina asks judgementally, folding her arms.

"Why aren't you on the ground?" Conrad counters lazily, moving her legs towards Sabrina.

Sabrina hops over them with a giggle before settling beside Conrad, folding a page in her book.

"Are you sick? Will I get dad?" Sabrina suggests, and Conrad shakes her head slowly.

"No, it's okay. I washed my hair this morning and thought I could dry and style it without eating. Your little gremlin sibling decided they didn't like that idea after I was finished," Conrad informs her, sipping some orange juice.

"You shouldn't drink from the carton. Miss Bowler told us it's bad for us," Sabrina frowns, trying to get it out of Conrad's hands.

"Miss Bowler is your teacher, not mine, baby girl," Conrad sighs, putting the carton on the ground beside her.

"It's time to get up. I need to make you breakfast," Conrad suddenly realises, turning herself onto all fours.

She slowly rises, using the counter to help herself up.

Sabrina watches her warily, ready to do her best to help. Conrad can see the girl trying to figure out what to do, so she focuses on making sure she can stay upright.

"Are we okay?" Carlos asks, walking into the room with his newspaper.

"We're all good here," Conrad smiles tightly, grabbing the bread.

"Cheese toastie?" Conrad asks, and Sabrina nods, sidling over to the table where her dad is.

He helps her onto his lap and opens the newspaper while Conrad puts the bread and cheese onto the grill.

"I think Connie is sick," Sabrina whispers to him.

"No, I'm fine, Rina," Conrad utters, rolling her eyes as she stares at the grill, keeping an eye on the sandwich.

"Why do you think she's sick?" Carlos whispers back, glancing at Conrad in concern.

"She was on the floor when I came in," Sabrina mumbles to her dad, resting her head on his chest.

"Will we mind her today?" He murmurs back, the two of them staring at Conrad's back.

Conrad can hear them talking, but she tunes them out while watches Sabrina's breakfast.

"I wanted to go look at the school," Sabrina mumbles, and Conrad turns around quickly.

"Yeah, we're still going to do that. It might just take a little longer," she reassures, grabbing the counter behind her.

"Sab, go get dressed," Carlos instructs, pulling the toastie off the grill and putting it onto a plate.

Sabrina takes the plate and leaves the room.

Once Carlos can hear her footsteps on the stairs, he immediately picks Conrad up.

"Have you eaten yet?" He asks, and she shakes her head.