Part 20

As soon as they touch down, Jeanne is waiting for them.

She had decided to surprise Conrad with a collection car, because she thought it might make it easier for her to sort out her thoughts.

They arrived a little early, and Jeanne was secretly relieved about it.

She had heard some whispers about Atlas and his little creature, and she wanted to inform Conrad about them before she walked anywhere near the trial.

"Hey Con," Jeanne calls, waiting for Conrad to emerge fully from the open door.

Charlotte drops down first, neither of them waiting for steps to be wheeled over to the aeroplane doorway.

"Hey, Jeanne. This is Charlotte," Conrad calls back as they get closer.

Charlotte gives Jeanne a wave, having heard a lot about her during their separate summer internships.

Jeanne knew plenty about Charlotte too, and they briefly hug.

"I thought we were meeting you at the headquarters," Charlotte says warily, adjusting the backpack on her shoulder as she steps back a little from Jeanne.

"Yeah, I decided to come and get you. I didn't want anyone hearing anything I have to say," Jeanne warns them, nibbling her lip as she glances over her shoulder.

Conrad and Charlotte exchange a frown, Conrad letting her hair out of her ponytail.

Do you think there's something weird going on?, Charlotte asks through the mindlink.

I don't know. It seems a little strange, but Jeanne hears everything. It was the same when we both worked here, she somehow knew everyone's business, and she was always paranoid someone would hear her, Conrad frowns.

"He's not only bringing Meg. Most of his pack is coming," Jeanne breathes, and Conrad furrows her brows in confusion.

"How is that allowed? The courtrooms aren't that big," Charlotte points out, raising a brow as they all walk towards the car, a guard following a few meters behind.

"They're probably going to stand outside in an attempt to intimidate Conrad," Jeanne warns Charlotte, and Conrad is completely lost now.

"Intimidate me into doing what? I don't give a shit about him or his pack. I don't want to be his mate anymore," Conrad despairs, climbing into the car as she spirals.

"He's probably just trying to show what a big strong Alpha he is," Charlotte reassures Conrad, unable to stop the scorn that leaks into her voice, sitting beside Conrad.

Jeanne sits facing them, clasping her hands hesitantly as she straightens up, a strand of hair falling out of her perfectly coiffed hair.

"Megan is coming with him," Jeanne says slowly, and Charlotte raises a brow, "We know about her, is there something else?"

Jeanne hesitates, looking over her shoulder at the driver, who has soundproof earphones on, as well as mufflers - provided by her, of course.

"Apparently, she's pregnant with twins. And apparently, it's obvious," she nervously warns them, and Charlotte swears quietly.

"Okay. Again, I really don't care," Conrad drawls.

Jane being numbed means she has no reservations or concerns about seeing Atlas.

The mate bond is largely connected to one's wolf, and if Conrad can't feel hers, Atlas can't scare her in any sort of way.

"Okay. He's your mate, that's all I was worried about," Jeanne murmurs softly, leaning over and patting Conrad's hand.