Learning...

Chapter's song: Fantasy by Alina Baraz & Galimatias (I heard it over and over writing this...)

҉       A ƤriƝɕҽsslɣ CoƝƝҽCƬioƝ        ҉

ChaPtEr FOURTEEN    _________________________

Learning…

I stared at the note my aunt had handed me. It was an extensive list of different ingredients. Half of them were completely unknown to me. Jason started the car as I frowned, “I think Pablo or Sol were better suited for this job…”

“How so?” A pop song in Spanish sounded on the background.

“I don’t know what half of the list stands for.”

He snorted and chuckled shaking his head, “And I’m assuming the market is downtown. Patricia didn’t explain more than driving to it. Wherever the hell it is.”

A soft chuckle left my lips. Trust my aunt to send us to run errands…

Although, I didn’t know what to think about her. I shifted on my seat uncomfortably thinking about the package underneath my pillow. What on earth possessed her to think I’d need them? Plus, she had implied that I would use them with Jason. My cheeks flushed. I turned to the window averting him at all.

However,” his voice sounded totally normal, as if whatever the hell happened back at the hotel hadn’t happened, “you’re pretty fluent in Spanish, so I’m not worried.” He glanced at me for a moment. His bold eyes made the butterflies in my stomach flutter, “We’ll manage…”

I wasn’t sure that he was talking about finding the market…but my heart skipped a beat at the we.

He parked the car on the main plaza. As I unbuckled my seatbelt, he added smiling, “Ok. I’m starving. Let’s find the bloody thing soon.”

Shyly, I nodded and stepped out of the car. An old man was passing us by. “Buenos días, ¿podría decirme dónde está el mercado por favor?” (Good morning, could you please tell me where the market is?). The man was wearing plain jeans and a white shirt. A straw hat was placed on his head. His skin was dark and wrinkled. He smiled at me. Gesturing with his hand to his right, he signaled a street, “Por esa calle al fondo” (It’s at the end of that street).

“Gracias!” Jason answered in that undeniable thick English accent that I probably had as well. Only that it sounded really cute on him. Oh man…I was such a lost cause…Placing a palm on my back, he guided us towards where the man had signaled. Little tingles played under his touch.

Even if we hadn’t asked for directions we would have found it. It was the most crowded place in town. We hadn’t reached the entrance yet and the street was overflowing with busy people. Some were unloading different fruits and veggies off their trucks, others were busy selling various items. From matches to tortillas. Several people approached us offering their merchandise. Jason’s hand pulled me closer to him as a man showed me different knives.

An explosion of different scents reached our nostrils as we walked through the main entrance. I stared in awe at the scene. I’d been to different farmer’s market in the UK. Nothing compared to this. Exotic and colorful flowers stands where to our right, large baskets filled with different spices and several chilies followed. A small yet overloaded with clients tortilla shop was around the corner. Candles hanging from the roof of another stand, several gigantic piles of contrasting vegetables and fruits stands followed through. All the while, people were busy mingling with each other.