A phone call away...

҉ A PrinceSSly CoNNectioN ҉

Chapter's song: someone like you (cover by Alexa Goddard)

ChaPtEr TWENTY-SIX _________________________

A phone call away...

My eyes drifted away as my spoon played with the food on my plate. Almost a week had passed since I'd been to Jason's house. My stomach clenched as I remembered the brunette girl behind him.

What I'd give to be in her place and the girl was just screwing things up with him.

He deserved better...and there was nothing I could do about it.

It just hurt.

Thinking about Jason and any other girl.

It hurt too much...

Yet I knew it was for the better. I really couldn't picture him with someone like me.

I was doomed to be spinster. A spinster taking care of a gazillion dogs.

"Honey, did you like the quinoa?" Mom asked hopefully.

Looking up, I realized that all eyes were on me. I peeked at my plate once again before grabbing a spoonful. "It's ok," I shrugged before grabbing another bite.

Mom sighed. "You look thinner. You should eat more."

"Maybe it's the whole vegan stuff," Dad muttered as he shoved on a bite. He had complained endlessly about the food for the last two weeks.

Uncle Hugh rolled his eyes, "Oh for God's sake! Please order meat for all of you tomorrow night." He raised an eyebrow as he kept on eating, "if your husband dies of a heart attack, it won't be on my conscience, Em."

My lips twitched. This had been going on all week long. Dad complaining about the food, Uncle Hugh making a snarky remark and Mom usually ends up giving them both a lecture. Ashley was missing lunch because she'd been staying with a friend for the last couple of days.

I was just glad that the conversation drifted away from me.

"Are you ready for tonight?" Mom asked ignoring the men on the table.

I cringed, "I'm not sure I should go..." Although I really didn't have a choice, to be honest.

Ashley had invited Valerie and me to her boyfriend's concert. It had been the perfect opportunity to ask Peter out. The day we went to the univeristy, I ended up asking him out on behalf of my best friend. She was a lost cause, to be honest.

"Nonsense," Uncle Hugh intervened. "It is your duty as a bigger sister to scare the shit out of that boyfriend of hers." Mom glared at him. He smiled sheepishly at me, "excuse my poor language, dear."

"Or your lack of taste in food..." Dad trailed innocently making me smile. Especially since both my mother and uncle were sending daggers to him.

Shaking her head, Mom glanced at me, "have you planned out your outfit?"

Grimacing, I shook my head.

Her eyes lit up. "Awesome! Let's leave this two and figure out your clothes for tonight!"

I barely finished my food but over the last few days I hadn't been hungry at all. Mom was right, though. Most of my clothes felt looser.

Which wasn't a bad thing when you were supposed to attend a public affair in a cocktail dress.

I headed to my room with Mom in tow. She surpassed me as we walked inside the room. She did seem to be on a mission here. I hadn't really told her about Jason but I had the light suspicion that Uncle Hugh had kept her informed.