Blue ocean

Chapter's song: Bubbly by Colbie Callat

҉       A ƤriƝɕҽsslɣ CoƝƝҽCƬioƝ        ҉

ChaPtEr TWELVE          _________________________

Blue ocean

Getting ready to spend the rest of the afternoon with Jason was proving to be a difficult task. First, since I wasn’t being productive, I asked Maria if she needed help.

Not a smart move. Maria always needed help.

The kitchen was working non-stop. Either it was for the guests or for the rest of the team, meaning us. The fact that she was trying to show Jason and me a new dish everyday wasn’t helping. Mole was going to be the main dish for dinner. It’s a never-ending list of different ingredients in between different chilies, spices, almonds, chocolate and even a burnt tortilla. Seriously. She burnt it until it was coal black for the sweet sauce. The kitchen smelled delicious but it was too much work. I helped in every task she let me. Apparently I was too slow; there were a few times that she took the knife out of my hands to chop the tomatoes herself and stuff like that. Always with a smile on her face, though.

“What time is it again?” I asked as I peeled the almonds she gave me. You had to put them in warm water and after a minute or two, you could take the skin off.

Maria’s sweet smile faltered, she looked at the clock on her right, “It’s a quarter to four. I think you could leave the almonds and get ready…”

Glancing at her, I frowned. She had specifically told me that the almonds were key to the dish. As any of the other ingredients I’d worked on. She seemed a bit tense having me there. I guessed I’d asked for the time more than a few times…In my defense, she was blocking the clock and I was worried that I’d be late to meet Jason. Feeling bad for her distress, I cleaned my hands on the apron with an apologetically smile on my face, “lo siento …” (sorry)

She shrugged, “apúrate! (hurry up), God forbid you’re late for your date!”

A small blush crept upon my cheeks. In a small voice I mumbled, “it’s not a date…” as I took off the apron and hung it on the rack.

Maria’s eyes watched me knowingly. She pointed the wooden spoon on her hand at me, “se ven bien juntos!” (You look nice together!)

Flustered I played with my hands not knowing where to put them, “he’s just going to teach me…that’s all…”

She shook her head, “I can see young love there.”

Ok. Time to go.

“Gracias, Maria! Can’t wait to try this later!”

I walked away as she laughed, “diviértete!” (have fun).

Geesh…

Running to my room, I changed to my bikini and braided my hair before applying sunscreen. I couldn’t stop thinking about how he reacted when I told him about Ed. To be fair, I thought that if Ed helped me it would easier for me. But he seemed a tad jealous. The fact that I felt like that just showed me how pathetic I was being.

Nervous, I grabbed a towel from the small bathroom and took a deep breath before walking out to the beach. The sun wasn’t as harsh as noon’s but it was still shining brightly. The beach was completely deserted. As usual, I left my sandals on the rocky ledge and walked on my bare feet. I loved the feeling of the sand.

A towel and a pair of beach shoes were laid on the sand next to a paddle and a large surfing board. Jason was at sea, stand-up paddling alone. He seemed afar, so I left my things next to his and walked to the sea. My stomach was churning uneasily as my feet reached the water. It was cold but totally refreshing.