*Kiss Me Like You Did* IGHS Sequel {01} Slash

Jake's POV

I was standing outside the airport with my sister and my parents, slowly becoming more and more red in the face with embarrassment. I was only thankful I'd had the sense to prohibit access to airport's interior before leaving that morning. And at least as Mom was holding my face tightly between her palms and crying at me, dad had Kelly in a bear hug so tight I could see her face turning blue over his shoulder. It was a little consolation that she was facing this humiliation with me.

 'Mom, Dad,' she gasped, as my dad finally let her go and began turning his somewhat scary affection towards me. 'We're adults. We've been away from home before!'

 'Not for a whole year,' my mom answered tearfully, rubbing aggressively at her cheeks. 'But you're right. We're sorry. We'll just miss you guys.'

 'We'll be home for a couple weeks at Christmas,' Kelly replied, picking up her suitcase and motioning for me to do the same. I quickly swivelled it so it was between me and my frighteningly over-affectionate parents.

 'Go straight to Aunt Jessie's when you get there,' my mom said for the millionth time.

 'Yes Mom,' we both droned monotonously.

'She'll help you move into your dorm rooms.'

'Yes Mom.'

'And she definitely has all your stuff?'

Knowing we'd be unable to bring eight million suitcases of belongings with us to Rhode Island all at once, Kelly and I had sent a lot of our stuff to Aunt Jessie over the past few months, who had doubtless stored it in flimsy cardboard boxes in her garage, meaning it would almost impossible to transport to the college campus. But our parents were paying something like €100,000 for us both to attend Brown rather than avail of the free tertiary education available to us here, so were damned if we were gonna spend a single night notmaking the best of our included room and board.

Eventually Kel and I convinced our parents to leave, and we turned and walked through the airport towards Departures. Over the last twelve months I'd taken this exact plank-walk twice, and neither had been a particularly pleasant experience.

'You okay?' Kel asked lightly, pretending to check the digital screen overhead for our flight time, but really sliding her glance towards me. Being my twin, I guess she has developed certain powers of intuition where my moods are involved; then again, she's pretty much like that with everyone.

I nodded, shaking off my memories. 'I'm fine. Let's go check in.'

Four hours, three bottles of Pepsi, six Mars bars, and two frantic calls from our mom and we were finally taxiing down the runway. Kelly was fiddling with her Mp3 and wondering aloud about the in-flight movie; I closed my eyes and let my mind wash over with the memories I was supposed to be leaving behind for good.

The first time I'd run through the airport towards the Departures lounge I'd been with Taylor Hannon, my boyfriend. Or something. He wasn't my boyfriend at the time, he was my best friend. But I was in love with him. It had been one crazy day, starting with an amazing kiss, followed by a little lawbreaking, then a rushed effort to stop any further lawbreaking... Managing to end up in a holding cell in airport security getting interrogated by the Gardai about a conspiracy to commit murder.

The second time had been worse.

'You sure you're okay?' Kelly asked again, and I knew she wasn't going to drop it this time. I briefly considered whether it would be less painful to jump out of the plane, but sucking another 415 people to their deaths might not be something I'd want on my conscience as I met my maker.