*Kiss Me Like You Did* IGHS Sequel {15/End/Epilogue} Slash

Taylor’s POV

So it turned out that I had dated a sociopath.

Well, okay. So that’s not what the “official” term was. In fact, the only mental problem Ryan was actually diagnosed with was a severe case of anxiety. He’d lost me, he had to share a room with my new – old? – boyfriend, and on top of that, he was completely failing out of college. And all of those problems could be solved in one easy move – murdering Jake.

You can see why the rest of us still call him a sociopath.

Somewhere in Ryan’s twisted mind, he thought getting Jake out of the way would cause me to come crawling back to him. And of course there’s the grief policy – if your roommate dies, you immediately get straight A’s without even having to take your summer exams. It was kind of genius, in a way, especially for somebody who’d consistently failed every single exam he’d taken so far that year. Jake would die of an allergic reaction and of course Ryan would never have been implicated – if it hadn’t for me waking up in the middle of the night completely freaking out for no apparent reason. Jake likes to joke that we have a psychic connection. Me, I know it’s all down to Landon being an ominous creep.

Seriously. “I think you should stay away from him Taylor. You and Jake.” That’s pretty ominous right? And while I was sleeping it must have sparked something in my subconscious psyche that made me realise he was right and need to warn Jake... Okay. So that sounds just as unlikely as the psychic thing. And I guess it’s pretty cool to think that at any time, anywhere, I might just need to take a nap and wake up knowing exactly what my boyfriend is up to.

Jake decided not to press charges against Ryan. In fact, he wouldn’t even tell the police, or campus security, or anyone except me and Kelly about what had happened with Ryan kissing him and stuff. Safe in the knowledge that Ryan wouldn’t be returning to Brown for a second year, he claimed amnesia and wouldn’t let either of us say anything either – though Kel put up a significant fight. Eventually she gave up fighting Jake and fought Ryan instead. He went home that summer with satisfyingly swollen black eye that he was, when questioned, very tight-lipped about.

Speaking of Kelly, she joined us in Jake’s hospital room about an hour after I had crawled into his bed beside him. Although “joined” doesn’t really give her entrance justice. More like, she storm in in a whirlwind of righteous indignation, having had to spend ten minutes proving her relationship with Jake was, indeed, familial.

‘Brother!’ she hissed, glaring at me. ‘You don’t even look like us! And they believed you, but not me!’

I didn’t bother to point out that they hadn’t exactly believed me, because I thought it might have made her even angrier. She calmed down pretty quickly when she saw Jake was awake, and threw herself at the bed, immediately bursting into fresh tears.

‘You absolute shit!’ she sobbed at him, while choking him half to death. ‘You had better never do this to me again. Either of you. I am so fucking over having to see you both passed out and turning blue!’

I didn’t need to ask what she meant – I knew she was referring to my brush with date rape drugs, which was, by all accounts, pretty scary for everyone who had been awake. Ie, everyone but me.

‘So how was your drive with Jacob?’ I asked casually. Now that I was safe in the knowledge that the love ofmy life was alive and well, it was a relief to start teasing Kelly about the guy who’d been crushing on her all year.

‘Huh? Oh, do mean did I find Ryan? You know I didn’t. Jacob just drove me around in circles for half an hour before I figured out what he was up to and made him bring me back here.’