Slash (11) I'm Gay, He's Straight [boyxboy]

There was a knock on my door around half ten and I groaned inwardly, knowing this would be my sister coming to collect on my emotional debt.

 ‘I know you’re in there so you’d better answer me or I’m coming in. We took baths together mister, I’m not scared!’

 I rolled my eyes but nevertheless threw a “come in” in the direction of the door and turned off my Xbox without saving the game – I was too distracted to concentrate and was getting annihilated anyway.

 ‘Mom and Dad home yet?’ I asked as Kel came in leaving the door open, crawled across me and sat on the other side of the bed; the side I’ve been mentally referring to as “Taylor’s Side” since we first started having sleepovers when we were eight.

‘Nope, Mom texted me to say they’re working late. You know what that means.’

We both grimaced. We’d figured out at an early age that when our parents wanted to “work late” it meant they were going out to dinner and then spending the night in an expensive hotel paid for by the law firm they ran. While we were grateful to know they didn’t “work late” while we were under the same roof, it was mildly upsetting to know that they “worked late” at all.

‘Did you tell her about today?’

‘Are you joking? They’re working late.’

That was another thing. When our parents wanted to “work late” and we got in the way of that for whatever reason, they were always in a bad mood for about a week afterwards. And getting caught up in an attempted murder investigation definitely warranted “getting in the way”.

‘Fair point, well made. So what are you making for supper?’

‘I’m not making you anything for supper. Stop trying to change the subject. What’s going on with you?’

I raised my eyebrows. As if she didn’t know. ‘Can we skip the part where I have to spell it out to you? Can’t you just give me a lecture and we both walk away unscathed?’

‘No.’

I sighed.

‘You’re confused over the Jenny thing,’ Kelly prompted.

‘Well it’s not like I was in love with her anymore or anything. I don’t know why I feel so betrayed by her and the whole...’ I waved my hand, too drained by the whole situation to bother explaining what she already knew.

‘Well yeah, you feel used. I mean, you thought you were helping her and doing a good thing, denying yourself your own happiness, and it turned out all she wanted was your money.’ I could tell Kelly was having a hard time not launching into a tirade about how she wanted to rip off Jenny’s face and feed it to the stray cat who lived on our street. That’s a fantasy I’ve heard several times.

‘I mean, even when I was in love with her, was she cheating on me then? I thought I could trust her to...’ I trailed off. What right did I have to her loyalty when she didn’t have mine?

‘Jake what you did was nothing compared to what she did. You had her best interests at heart the whole time, but she didn’t-’ Kelly paused.

‘Care about me at all,’ I finished, defeated.

‘And that’s the real problem isn’t it? You cared about her but she didn’t return the sentiment and she used you.’

I shuffled on the bed. ‘Yeah, I guess.’

Kelly sighed. ‘Once burned...’

I shrugged, frustrated. I didn’t want to bring Taylor into this and I didn’t want her to either, but I knew she would.