Chapter 231: My Path

Abandoned Island off the Serian South Coast.

9:20 am. 23rd Banem, 1092.

29 Days to World's End.

Whooo...

Kashi let out a slow breath. A gentle breeze brushed by the shores as the sounds of lapping waves and chirping birds slowly disappeared. The daeben's eyes narrowed as he nocked an arrow, eyes peeled on the midi standing a few meters away. Fang Ling's nonchalant gaze had Kashi on high alert. Somehow, he could tell.

Fang Ling was strong!

Fang Ling smiled. Ksh, Ksh. He tapped each foot on the sandy shore, then fixed Kashi with a challenging glare. "I'm coming, kid!" Vwoom! Sand and stone scattered as the midi disappeared from view.

'Where!?' Kashi quickly checked his surroundings but failed to find Fang Ling. 'Above!' Kashi jumped back and jerked his head to the sky. Indeed, he spotted the grinning Fang Ling hurtling down with a vicious kick.

"Got You!" Kashi trained his bow at the midi. Ffft! A host of arrows zipped toward the airborne midi.

Fang Ling grinned. "Good eyes, kid!" The midi's expression remained even despite being faced with an unforgiving onslaught. His eyes shone as he kicked the air. Dun! Dun! Dun! Kashi's eyes widened in disbelief. Fang Ling, without breaking pace, shifted mid-air at breakneck speed, dodging and weaving through the arrows with unprecedented ease. Once he broke through the final layer, VWOOM!

Fang Ling shot off like a rocket. Bwoom! He appeared before Kashi in the blink of an eye and promptly swung his left foot at the daeben's head. Kashi swiftly raised his right hand to block the strike.

Dun! To Kashi's shock, Fang Ling kicked the air just before his foot hit the daeben's hand. The recoil sent his body spinning in the opposite direction. Bang! Fang Ling's heel crashed into the back of daeben's head.

"Ugh." Kashi tumbled forward and then rolled along the ground to absorb the impact. He came to a hard stop and then looked over his shoulder.

Vwoom! Fang Ling appeared inches away, his left leg cutting a sharp scythe towards Kashi's neck. The midi's eyes sparkled. "Look alive, kid."

Kashi winced and swiftly raised his arms. BANG! The ground cracked as Kashi suffered the midi's full force. He was sent sliding back across the sand. He groaned as his arms throbbed in pain.

Kashi frowned as he looked at Fang Ling, who dropped to the ground with a thin smile. The midi was strong without a doubt. But, after receiving his kick, Kashi could tell. Fang Ling was not as strong as him. In fact, the midi was weaker, both in terms of speed and strength.

But, then why?

Fang Ling grinned as he eyed the youth. "Ready, kid?"

Kashi's eyes turned grim as he charged a set of ki-arrows. Dun! Fft! Fang Ling kicked off just as Kashi's arrows flew. This time, Kashi learned his lesson and staggered his shots, hoping to force Fang Ling into a corner.

Fang Ling, in turn, danced around the arrows, twisting and turning at impossible angles. Kashi's eyes widened as he studied the midi. Fang Ling was not faster than him. Why, then, could his arrows not hit? It was simple.

Fang Ling had pushed the concept of 'Air Step' to its extreme limits. Kashi, like many Summoned, knew how to use this move, but he had not seen anyone use it the way Fang Ling did. Rather than a simple, evasive maneuver, Fang Ling turned 'Air Step' into a three-dimensional flash-movement technique.