Chapter 157: Meeting a Fan

The Emporium,

10th Banem, 1092.

The Emporium, fondly referred to as the 'Jewel of Merriheim,' certainly lived up to its name. The circular, spectacular structure, the largest of its kind in all of Rosendun, was brightly lit up at night with several varying colored lights drawing the tourists' gazes and admiration from miles away.

Its rapidly soaring popularity had forced the Maggots to create more entrances around the building. However, even with these measures, the building's surroundings were always tightly packed, and long queues had become par for the course. The hype and craze, deemed unnecessary and crazy by some skeptics, were immediately justified upon stepping a foot into the building.

Gaudily dressed characters in exaggerated poses greeted visitors. Every day, each welcoming staff member would put on a new costume designed by local artists. These colorful cast of characters immediately set the scene for what was, for most, an unforgettable crazy ride.

Tourists and locals could never find themselves bored in this building. Not when every corner was packed with unique activities and events. A person could enter the building, get his portrait drawn, have a sculpture of himself fighting a dragon, watch the performances of local and upcoming bands and musicians and still catch a play or two reenacting glorious moments in history, including some recent ones, of course.

A favorite of most tourists was the reenacting of the Battle for Riven. Especially the part where Kashi the daeben makes his entrance.

By now, there was not a soul in all of Rosendun and most of Merriheim who did not know this name. However, since the rise of Summoned impersonators and the fact there were so few who had met the daeben in person (and knew it was him), most could only turn to these plays to get an inch closer to the legend.

All these activities and more, coupled with savvy merchandising shops and restaurants with food from so many different regions, dictated that Residents who had never known a place like this were more than willing to pay whatever it took to maximize their stay as long as possible. It was no wonder then that while tourists entered empty-handed, they almost always exited carrying various bags filled with merchandise.

This kind of 'want-spending' was new to the Residents, who had always been content with spending on their basic needs. Somehow, the Emporium had become a sort of status symbol among Residents—especially the locals. Men who wanted to impress their intended beau needed to have at least taken them once or twice.

This, in turn, had created a chain reaction in the labor market. Men and women who would typically laze around the house rushed out into the streets eager to land well-paying jobs. Furthermore, even though the mines paid well, Emporium's existence meant that a faction of citizens had begun to develop the addictive drug called 'ambition.'

They wanted better-paying jobs that would allow them to enjoy themselves even more. Some wanted better pay for the sake of impressing their romantic partners, while others sought the power that came with wealth.

All in all, the bottom line was, Residents had slowly begun to graduate from primitive thinking of satisfying only needs to the insatiable nature of pleasures and wants. The desire for better-paying jobs pleased the upper echelon of the Hopeful Maggots because it meant that when they completed the Academy, it would not lack individuals looking to learn specialized employment with better pay.

However, all of this had nothing to do with a certain daeben who awkwardly stood outside a door with "STAFF ONLY" written boldly. Kashi scratched the back of his head as he looked at the mertian security guard glaring at him, baton in hand.