Chapter 88: Battle in the Arena

5th Muriel, 1093.

Second Under.

"My Lord!" Nadir prompted, eyes wide in shock as a mass of black shot past them, jumped over thirty meters, then landed in front of the lead Vekraptor, ripping its head off with his bare hands. Before the remaining two could comprehend what happened, the black avenger had buried his hands in their sides, leaving something inside them.

The subsequent explosion forced Nadir to hold a column for support. Three Vekraptors. That weak daeben he toyed with for the past three days just dispatched three Vekraptors like they were a couple of rabbits. The general felt the cold hand of death grip his throat as the daeben lifted the young one and cast a momentary glare in his direction. "W-what do we do?" he stammered.

Froy listened to the daeben berate the dwarves from a lavish private box. White knuckles gripped the armrest and his teeth ground against each other. This wretched daeben had accomplished in four seconds what he had failed to do in years: Command the dwarves' attention. Even now, the choking atmosphere that pervaded the arena proved what he feared. The dwarves were all listening to this daeben. And for what? Because he was spouting a few names from their past? This was ridiculous! "Shut it down," he growled.

Nadir nodded sharply, and then barked orders into a modified Rink. Moments later, at least forty robed soldiers stormed through the gates, weapons trained at the daeben. He made to give the order to execute, but Froy's sharply raised arm gave him pause.

Froy saw it out of the corner of his eyes. Zeing's enraged grip shattered the armrest beneath him. A moment later, the dwarf was across the arena in one giant leap. A grin spread across Froy's face as he watched one pest challenge the other. This was good. He couldn't kill Kashi, or let him die in an 'accident.' The higher-ups would have him killed. And slowly too. But if the daeben died by Ashqoj's hand; now there was something even they could not hold over him. His smile widened as it seemed fate had finally decided to grant him some goodwill. "I want to watch."

"My Lo—" Nadir never finished his rebuke as the ground quaked dangerously beneath them. Cracks ran across the earth and up the stands, creating a large fissure which the general fell into. His panicked scream was the last Froy heard from him.

The Priest, however, did not seem too bothered by the gaping hole next to him. Froy lifted a silver goblet and took a sip of the exquisite wine as he watched the proceedings below.

 Froy lifted a silver goblet and took a sip of the exquisite wine as he watched the proceedings below

Kashi glanced at the fissure created. Somehow, it seemed the dwarfs had expected that outcome because they all successfully dodged the strike. Only that sorry excuse for a general had fallen. Kashi kinda sorta felt sorry for the guy. Nadir's consistent efforts were somewhat cute in their own way.

A sharp grunt brought Kashi's attention back to the monster that had produced this disaster.

Zeing rose to full height, brows tightly bunched together. "Looks like I loosened this a bit too much," he revealed with sharp laughter as he twisted something on his gauntlets. Gloating eyes mocked Kashi. "Still think you can handle this?" He challenged as he slammed his fists against each other.