Chapter 160: Chaos & Order

Nama Woods

12th Banem, 1092

Ever since trees rose around the forest to form an impenetrable barrier, Nama Woods' boundaries had become a natural tourist spot. Adventurers from far and wide often traveled there to test their strength against the rumored impenetrable wall. Some eager adventurers had even begun a game of seeing who could cut deepest into the trees. The trees' freakish regenerative ability meant there would forever be opportunities for someone to give it a go.

This morning, hundreds of adventurers gathered outside Nama Woods like always. However, only a handful was examining the tree-wall. Many adventurers stared at plumes of dust that rose to the sky from beyond the wall with fear. The dust clouds were often accompanied by loud explosions and loud creaking and crashing sounds of falling trees.

These onlookers were seasoned adventurers. They instantly recognized the sounds of battle. But, if that was the case, what kind of monsters were these that were capable of damaging this cursed forest? Furthermore, the collisions sounded like sticks of dynamites concurrently going off.

The adventurers were grateful for the wall. There was a good chance those monsters would have made it to their leveling grounds if it wasn't for this wall. They could only pray those monsters left the confines of the forest.

BOOM!

Within the forest, the beings referred to as monsters flitted chaotically amongst the treetops. At first sight, it seemed to be a case of one chasing and the other fleeing. However, closer inspection revealed that though the pursuer appeared to control the situation, none of their attacks ever actually hit the fleeing party.

The pursuing figure let out a frustrated roar and kicked hard kicked against a tree trunk. It shot out like a bullet, quickly closing in on the fleeing figure. Contrary to what one would expect, it swiped at the air before it reached its target.

Large scythe-like wind blades shot out. The fleeing figure quickly took a step back then kicked itself onto a tree behind it. The jump took it over the wind blades. The smaller figure did not care that its attack missed. It rapidly rotated in place with a loud shout. Dozens of wind blades erupted randomly, slicing up anything in their path.

The larger figure did not panic under the dense, net-like bombardment. It seemed to shake in place, and the wind blades harmlessly passed through its body. The shaking movement was actually as a result of its feet shifting rapidly within a small radius. Its movements were so quick that it left several afterimages in its path. It was these afterimages that were attacked by the blades.

The little figure did not seem shocked by the result. A silhouette of a man-sized lion's head appeared behind it as it quickly let out a massive roar. An enormous shockwave boomed from her mouth.

The larger figure could not dodge this large-scale attack. It raised its hand in response. The epicenter of the shockwave crashed against the outstretched hand. Boom! The ensuing explosion sent rubble and dirt flying in all directions. The large figure leaked a smile as it took a step back and leaned its head backward.

Swish!

The dodge could not have come at a more perfect time. Taking advantage of the dust, the little figure had rushed underneath the larger figure. It used this opportunity to swipe upward, aiming for the exposed chin. Unfortunately, its movements were read. The little figure spun in place, her jump leaving her suspended in the air for a moment.

The world seemed to slow down as the 'monsters' regarded each other.

"You've improved," Rider remarked with a smile as he examined the little werewolf.