Chapter 145: The Virus

The Next Day.

Outside the room where a young boy underwent some of the worst psychological traumas known to man, a group of scientists monitored the child's biometric data. Soulless eyes callously examined numbers and charts on lifeless screens, the human behind the data long pushed to the recycling bin in their minds, to only be recalled when absolutely needed.

At the center of these zombies stood a tall, gaunt Japanese man who almost disappeared into his lab coat. It was difficult to ascertain his age due to his sickly appearance, but he could have been somewhere in the range of mid-thirties to early forties. Despite the man's stature, he managed to cut an imposing figure on account of his cold-blooded, snake-like gaze, which seemed to peer into the deepest recesses of the hearts of men, yet carried no empathy for what it saw. The man's eyes grew even colder when a small beeping interrupted the silence.

The man looked at his watch, then back at the child on the screen. "Time's up. Let him go." His voice was faint yet carried an irresistible authority to it. No sooner had he spoken, did the simulated torture come to a swift end as two orderlies rushed up to the boy. They removed the helmet and unfastened the straps before the larger of the two picked the frail and limp Taiga. They then walked off-screen, most likely to administer some first aid to the child.

Whoosh!

The snake-eyed man turned to the door that just opened. As expected, Akari walked in, gaze heavy as he watched the orderlies take Taiga off-screen.

"Saika," Akari greeted as he came up to the snake-eyed man.

"Well, well, if it isn't Leader Akari," Saika returned the greeting with a placid gaze. "What brings you down here?"

Akari frowned but ultimately retained his calm. "I was informed you want to implement Rebirth tomorrow. Is this true?"

"Yes, of course," Saika stated matter-of-factly. "These children were ready a month ago. I only postponed it because you asked. Well, time's up."

Akari's gaze trembled slightly. "These children are not rea—"

"Need I remind you of the importance of our work?" Saika challenged before Akari could finish. "This project directly alters the fate of thousands, no, millions of lives. And you want to delay it further because you're inside's acting up now?" The scientist's cold gaze shifted from Akari to the data on the screen before him. "Don't worry. My work is perfect. There will be no errors."

Akari hands balled into fists by his side, teeth tightly clenched together with rage. Still, he ultimately decided to keep his calm, managing to grind out, "Just remember, there are real, breathing children behind those numbers."

"These are disposable assets," Saika sneered with contempt. "If they fail, we can always replace them. The world is not lacking in malnourished, desperate children." Those hellish eyes turned to Akari, sending goosebumps down the latter's spine at the callous indifference within them. As if sensing Akari's unease, Saika chuckled softly. "But don't worry. As I said, I never fail. We will not have to dispose of your little children."

Akari's gaze hardened. If looks were enough to kill, Saika would have long been on his way to the underworld. Alas, even if Akari could slay the scientist with his eyes, he wouldn't dare to do so. He was aware of the importance of the job and how much time, money, and resources had been poured into it over the last decade. Akari could not jeopardize the mission at this late stage out of selfishness. He could only pray that Saika's ability matched his callous arrogance, and the experiment was a success.

If the experiments were successful, the kids would thank them despite all the suffering they endured.

At least, Akari chose to believe that.