Chapter 5: Welcome to Kerta

A familiar sight greeted Kashi as he rode into the grasslands around the town called Kerta. Several adventurers — mostly humans — were hunting the local wildlife, which consisted mainly of rabbits and ferrets. The sight of grown men in armor chasing down defenseless rabbits never failed to amuse.

Kashi and Leon drew curious glances from the mob. It was far too early in the game for Summoned to have acquired the funds to buy a horse, yet Kashi was waltzing into town on the coveted mount. Furthermore, Kashi's identity as a daeben was even more eye-catching. Everyone knew the daebens lost the war, and as a consequence, their favorability among the Residents was as low as it could get. Choosing a daeben was akin to willfully placing giant shackles on your feet.

No one should have been that crazy.

"Be careful." Leon noticed the looks the adventurers were giving Kashi and warned him. "Your kind is not welcome here."

"Pardon?" Kashi rose an eyebrow in question.

"Since the war, dark elves have been persecuted by the rest of the continent. I suggest you find yourself a disguise once you've settled in."

"The war..." Kashi looked to the sky, remembering the battle that had ended far too quickly. "How long has it been since then?"

"Eleven years."

"Eleven what!?" In his surprise, Kashi sharply pulled on the reins, causing his ride to buck wildly. The daeben lost his balance and was thrown clean off the horse. He fell on the ground, then quickly rolled out of the way as the horse galloped past him.

"You okay?" Leon called as he placated his own horse.

"Ah, yes. I am unharmed. Pardon my outburst." Kashi nimbly got to his feet and dusted himself off.

Leon dismounted and pulled his horse by its reins as he walked over to the daeben. "I told you to quit with the formal speech. What was so shocking?"

"It's nothing," Kashi said. Since Leon continually insisted, he decided to use informal speech. "I was just a bit surprised, is all." Now that Kashi thought about it, it was quite common for games to start during an event, and then fast-forward several years into the future. Once the initial shock was over, he calmly remembered that fact.

"If you say so."

Kashi's horse was long gone, so Leon, in a show of respect, walked alongside the daeben with his horse in tow as the approached Kerta's gates. Two guards in bright green glass armor stood on both sides holding large spears. They gave Kashi nasty, hate-filled glares as he passed but did not engage.

"This is no town," Kashi muttered under his breath as he crossed the city gates. The city was huge! The roads were paved with beautiful green stones with a majestic shine that allowed pedestrians to view their own reflections on the ground. Each building had its own unique charm and beauty. It was evident the city had been built by lovers of art.

The city bustled with life as Summoned and Residents ran around completing quests and forming parties for hunting, while Residents went about their daily lives. Kashi watched all this unfold around him as he followed Leon to an inn in a lesser developed part of the city. The duo could not afford the price of the higher-class inns.

Leon generously paid for the both of them with money he had pilfered off the guards back at the prison.

"See you in a few." Leon waved as he entered his room.

Kashi entered his and went straight to the bathroom. The room contained a large basin filled with freshly poured water. Steam rose from the tub, revealing it was recently heated. Kashi nodded, impressed by the service.