Chapter 102: The Daeben Must Die!

???
Merriheim

7th Muriel, 1093

While Kashi slept, somewhere in Merriheim, several menacing guards escorted a masonian lady wearing a headdress that only allowed one to see a pair of tired brown eyes. Her hands were bound with charmed shackles, which sapped her of energy as she walked. The lady gazed at the polished corridor, every few steps an artwork of some kind placed on glazed walls. If she were not a part of this organization, she would never have believed they were underground.

The group stopped ahead of a massive fifteen-feet door made of tempered gold. A mural of a man encased in flames jeered mockingly at all visitors. The door, which was at least twenty centimeters thick, was impossibly heavy. However, two guards by the door identified the group, then and easily pushed each side of the door.

A guard by the lady's side pulled down the headdress to reveal Zaram Karim, the first person Kashi had made contact with after entering Merriheim. Zaram winced as she was pushed into a magnificent hall.

A magnificent long table, carved from the most expensive wood, sat at the center of the hall. Several young women stood a few meters from the table, all observing the red-haired man who sat at the head.

The man was not shy of showing off his opulence, garbed in a golden robe made from griffin's hide and phoenix feathers.

Ruse looked up as Zaram entered the room. A momentary flash burned in his eyes before he pointed at the closest chair to his left. "Sit."

Zaram's gaze held a mixture of fear and stubborn pride as she shook off the guard's hand and then took a seat as ordered. She bowed her head in reverence as she greeted, "My lord—"

Ruse raised a hand to cut her short.

Stray beads of sweat pooled on Zaram's face as she realized she was in real trouble. Ruse never stopped someone from greeting or praising him except when he was furious.

Ruse reclined on his chair, his eyes never leaving Zaram's. "The daeben." A shiver ran down Zaram's spine at Ruse's cold tone. Anyone who had met the man knew it was far better when he exploded with rage, compared to when his anger quietly simmered. "I received a report claiming you were the first to encounter him?"

Zaram did not know if she was allowed to speak or not, so she weakly nodded.

Ruse's brows furrowed. "Speak."

"Yes, my Lord Prime," Zaram hurriedly complied. "My team was a few kilometers away from Suvron's Gate when it ro—"

"Hmph, Suvron's Gate," Ruse sneered. "That brat even dared to name the tower after a dead god." He paused for a second then glared at Zaram. "Who told you to stop!?"

Zaram, of course, did not dare point out the absurdity of that question. She immediately apologized then continued with her report. "I decided to check on the tower to search for clues as to why it rose."

Ruse's eyes narrowed. "You met the daeben on the way?"

"Yes, My Lord, I did."

Ruse's countenance instantly grew cold. His eyes were like cold, blood jewels as he asked, "Why did you not kill him then?"

Zaram breathed heavily. She knew the next few dialogues would ultimately decide her fate. She chose her words carefully as she replied, "We did try, but we never expected that he had a method of blocking out the effects of our songs. Before we could recover, he injured my subordinates."

"... How did he find Meilfour?"

Zaram's breath hooked in her throat. "I... I led him there."

Ruse's tone was overbearingly even, his glare like a smoldering flame on the verge of exploding. "Why"