Chapter 37: Twin Works

Ranad.

4:23 a.m. 19th Peniel 1091.

Elecurb, Mayor of Ranad, greeted Kashi as he walked into the city with his companions. "Welcome back, Kashi-dono."

"It is good to be back," Kashi humbly replied.

The mayor looked over Kashi's shoulders at his companions – or, rather, the lack thereof. Even though he knew the answer, Elecurb still asked with dread for confirmation, "Jero and the others?"

Kashi placed his right hand on the old man's shoulder and placated his misgivings with a smile. "There is no need for concern. Jero and the others are all alive and well. In fact, they are in control of Fort Norcha as we speak. Hektor here can attest to that."

Elecurb's eyes snapped wide. His mouth opened and shut as words struggled to come out, but his voice failed him. Instead, he looked at Hektor, who nodded his confirmation. Elecurb, overcome by joy and relief, fell to his knees and asked through tear-stained cheeks, "T-then, that means... the bandits are gone?"

Kashi smiled and confirmed, "You will never be bothered by the likes of them again."

"Oh... Oh, sweet Mera! You have not forgotten us!" Elecurb cried with pleasure as he clasped Kashi's hands. "Kashi-dono, we will forever be in your debt. If there is anything you want of us, just ask."

"I only did what any half-decent man would do," Kashi said as he helped Elecurb to his feet

"I only did what any half-decent man would do," Kashi said as he helped Elecurb to his feet. "I wish to stay here for a few days. A place to lay my head will do just fine."

"We already prepared a house for you," Elecurb excitedly revealed. "You are welcome to stay there anytime you want. Truth be told, it would be our honor."

"You have my gratitude," Kashi gratefully replied.

Elecurb stroked his beard as he recalled something important. "Ah, yes. A boy and his friends came by earlier. Said his name was Stryke?"

"Yes, they are comrades," Kashi confirmed. "I hope they were received well."

"No worries," Elecurb assured him. "They are currently assisting us in obtaining the materials required to rebuild the village."

Kashi nodded. Seemed like Stryke had found a treasure trove of quests that would reward both experience and Syros. "That is good to hear."

"Now, come," Elecurb urged as he led Kashi down the streets. "Let me show you to your new dwelling."

Three men assisted Kashi in carrying the sacks to his new home. The daeben let out a wry smile as he admired the obviously new two-story building. As expected of an in-game world, they did not waste any time in erecting new buildings.

After a short tour of the building, Lunette left the group to take a bath, eager to get the swamp smell off her. Meanwhile, the men gathered in the living room and watched as Kashi emptied the bags.