Chapter 87: Zeing Ashqoj

32nd Judndalph, 1093.

Solim Flats,

Merriheim.

Syèl lay on the cracked earth, resting his head on his interlocked fingers. He stared silently at the starless night sky blocked by gathering rain clouds. What minimal light sifted through, barely permitted sight beyond a few feet. Thankfully, though, the new—and rather stylish—mage armor he'd gotten in Meilfour kept the biting cold at bay.

Still, though, maybe it was the stillness, the quiet, or the cold, but his mind harkened back to that 'place' he had called home for so long—that cesspool of greed and death he had floundered in for so long.

Syèl softly chuckled as he recalled the look on Akari's face the first time they met. Nothing broke the ice like a boy of eight (or was it nine?) pointing a gun at a grown man after all. In a sense, it was from that moment his life truly started. It was that moment that allowed him to meet her.

"What are you thinking about?"

Syèl gazed up at the young woman who forcefully entered his field of vision. Blond hair spilled down her right shoulder, leaving the left side of her neck exposed, warm blue eyes emphasizing a confident, seductive half-smile. His right hand rose to meet her face. "Henri..."

"Who's Henri?"

Syèl froze as the overlapping image fizzled out of place, replaced by Shoko, who regarded him with raised brows. His hand quickly returned to place behind his head as he closed his eyes. "No one," was his curt reply.

"Obviously," Shoko sarcastically shot as she took a seat to his right, and then placed her sword between them. "I am fashionably bored right now. So, are you going to talk, or do you want me to beat it out of you?"

Syèl rolled to the left, showing his back to her. "Don't wanna."

"You will tell me one way or another," Shoko promised. "Consider yourself privileged to receive the civil option." He imagined a cocky smirk as she added, "I always get what I want."

"Except Suzuki, of course," Syèl countered, hiding a grin of his own—a smile that only widened when Shoko had no reply. "Oi, oi, what's this," he joked as he turned to face her. "Cat got your—" Syèl paused, struck by the sad smile that played across her lips. It was a look he had never seen before. He didn't like it.

"You loved her," Shoko stated with a soft tone.

Syèl turned his back to her. "All that cross-dressing's messing with your head if you think I could love anybody."

"You didn't answer my question."

"Didn't ask any, did you?" Syèl grumbled.

"Well, now I'm asking," Shoko pressed. "Who was she, and why is it you see so much of her in me?"

Syèl froze. His heart quickened as he struggled to think up a solution—any way out of this mess. He didn't want to remember. But more importantly, he had no desire to tell anyone, let alone Shoko of all people.

She's not Henri.

No, no, she wasn't. Henri was dead. He had seen to that himself. He had killed her with his own-! A weight against his back interrupted his thoughts. He looked over his shoulder and what he saw caused his brows furrowed in confusion.

Shoko lay on the ground with her head resting against his back. She said nothing; just closed her eyes and allowed her breath to even out, as she fell asleep.

Syel repositioned himself, so she rested on his stomach. He caught himself before his right hand could reach her face. Instead, he rubbed his face and then returned the hand to place beneath his head.