Chapter 27: Elemental Justice

Alure's Crypt.

9:23 p.m. 16th Peniel 1091.

Syèl and Shokō held their breath as the door to Alure's tomb slid open. The heavy door groaned loudly as its gears crushed the rust upon them, turning for the first time in a very long time. A gust of air blew out from the tomb, filled with the stench of decay. Despite the scarves they used to cover their noses, the duo was forced to shield their nostrils with their hands from the strong smell.

Shokō lightly coughed as she stepped beyond the door, followed closely by Syèl. The door opened to a small, rectangular hall. However, she could not make out what lay at the opposite end of the room as it seemed the outside light could not reach it. Ah, no. On second thought, it felt more like thick darkness swallowed up all light after a certain point.

Shokō took careful steps toward the border between light and dark while ensuring her hand was secured tightly on her sword's hilt. The dark's eerie silence unnerved her. She could feel a pair of eyes on her, but could not determine where its source lay. Frowning slightly, Shokō looked over her shoulder at the accompanying Mage. "Syèl..."

"I understand," Syèl replied, and invoked a low-level spell. "[Magelight]." The halben launched a football-sized ball of light into the darkness. The light-ball split into several smaller pieces and spread out, illuminating the room.

The view illuminated by the balls of light caused Syèl and Shokō to unconsciously take a step back in shock. Many draugr wielding pikes, swords, and shields glared at them with red-glowing eye sockets. However, despite the draugr's vast numbers, it wasn't the draugr that caused the duo to briefly consider retreat.

That honor belonged to the 9-foot draugr cloaked in black flames who sat on a throne behind the small army. To either side of the monster were giant scythes with shortened handles.

 To either side of the monster were giant scythes with shortened handles

Shokō and Syèl's eyes twitched when they saw the name on its life bar.

A named monster.

Boss characters usually needed well-balanced parties of at least four or five members close to its level for them to stand a chance. Among these bosses stood even rarer and more challenging monsters. These were the named monsters. If a monster had a name of its own, then that was proof of its strength.

"To meet two named monsters in one day." Shokō gritted her teeth as she weighed her options. They had fallen down a height that was impossible to jump back to, which meant retreat was not an option. She spotted a door behind Krugh and guessed the key required to open it would drop as loot from the guardian. Shokō sighed as she drew her sword. "No choice then. We fight."

"That so?" Syèl decided to save his HP, opting to use only mana until he reached Krogh. Luckily, [Magelight] was a continuous skill which meant it would continue to stay in effect as long as he did not turn it off. However, it did absolutely no damage to the enemy and could only stay aloft for thirty minutes before it had to be cast again.