𝟎𝟏. 𝐀𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

❝you don't wanna be like me ❞

you don't wanna be like me 

FORKS, WASHINGTON - CULLEN HOUSE

A WEEK EARLIER

Whispers. So loud, yet as quiet as the wind on a silent summer day. Smells. So many, yet so distinct. Anna opened her eyes with a relief in her chest, she hadn't been ready to die, not really she knew that now.

The pain that everyone had described as unbearable, hadn't been all that bad. She would take that any day over being stuck in her thoughts. Pain is blinding, it distracts you even from the worst mental agony that you can be in.

The human memories that had been described as something she would forget, were even more vivid than before. It gave her a pounding headache. Was that even supposed to be possible. Shouldn't death if anything rid her of her chronic headaches? She supposed it didn't really matter, she had lived with them for as long as she could remember what was an other eternity right?

"Anna, you're awake." the gentle voice of Carlisle rang out - Anna felt a pang in her chest when her eyes connected with his, he was in pain. And she could feel it.

"hi" she stumbled out in a voice that didn't belong to her, it was far too melodic and soft, Annas voice usually cracked because she didn't use it all that much.

"hey Anna" Carlisle responded "do you know where you are" he asked. Anna looked around, she recognized the room, she had lived in it for a month or so "I'm in my room, at your house" she spoke what she was thinking.

Carlisle nodded "very good! do you remember what happened to you?" there was a beat of silence as the reality of the situation came crashing down on Anna all at once. She was a vampire.

Venom pooled in her eyes, "it's going to be okay" Carlisle spoke putting a reassuring hand on Annas shoulder, but she flinched away from his touch and jumped up  "how is any of this going to be okay?!" She exclaimed "I was just getting ready to live! and now I'm dead, this isn't living. I mean I- I was supposed to- To be a sister. A daughter. A teenage girl who could make bad decision that didn't involve hurting herself! there were things that I needed to do! this isn't living- I can't even- I don't even- I need to breathe but I don't! I can't"

There it was again that pang in her chest when Carlisles expression contorted from calm to one of pain - she felt her own sadness. Her own pain. But she felt his too in a way that she had never experienced before. And with that she broke down sobbing.