𝟎𝟔. 𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐱𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐭𝐲

❝Trust takes years to build, seconds to break and forever to repair❞

VOLTURI CASTLE - THE BASEMENT

PRESENT TIME

The room was dark, with boring grey walls and a single vampire-proof window and an equally as vampire-proof steel door. It was night - there was no light of any kind.

The dark was what finally broke her as the tile beneath her suddenly turned cold, and memories of what she had done forced their way into the very front of her mind, her memories down to every detail, as if she had experienced all that pain through her life with the heightened senses of a vampire. 

She couldn't take it anymore, the memories playing over and over again, the loneliness, the feeling of being rejected both by Caius when he decided to help assault her but also by the Cullens who hadn't answered for two weeks, where she knew that she deep down had been calling because she needed them. 

Anna screamed and screamed and screamed, her voice never growing sore. She missed the familiarity of a good cry, of her through hurting after hours on hours of crying, she missed self-harm that didn't affect others than herself, she missed her innocent and kind thoughts, she missed her life. For the first time since her change she truly missed her life.

The feeling hit her like a ton of bricks, she couldn't breathe. She was having a panic attack, was that even supposed to be possible? Anna decided that she shouldn't question what was possible and what wasn't, after all she could bleed like a human if she simply caused another to bleed.

Her world had become so complicated these last two months, and she couldn't fathom what she was supposed to do, luckily she didn't have to, because soon enough the door to the room banged open and in rushed Caius. He kneeled besides her on the floor, where after he brought her in to a tight embrace, and for once she let him. 

"focus on my touch" he told her, "I'll write something on your back and you focus on what I'm writing okay?" he took her face in his hands and pulled her back so that he could look in her eyes, "can you do that for me?" he asked. Anna nodded her entire body trembling while she did  so, before she collapsed back in to his arms.

The feeling of his fingertips drawing on her back send shivers running down her spine. Six simple words, yet they had so much meaning: 'I love you, I am sorry'

The next few minutes were groggy, Anna couldn't really separate the moments but she knew that somehow she had gotten on her feet, right before collapsing again - feeling incredibly weak both from the emotional exhaust but also the physical. While Anna had been in that room the sun had set 16 times, meaning she hadn't fed in somewhere around 16 days, which her body as a newborn couldn't handle.

Caius had carried her to their shared room and placed her in the tub in the bathroom, he had - with her permission - peeled her clothes off, and turned the hot water on, he drew her hair out of its updo, and washed her gently.

Her mind was slowly growing clearer as she sat there in the bathtub with Caius petting her hair, "I think I'd like to get dressed now" she croaked. Caius nodded before grabbing a towel and handing it to her, before respectfully turning around while she got out and wrapped her body in the towel. Caius lead her out of the bathroom and though the bedroom to the walk-in-closet at the opposite side. He left her in front of the closet and let her get dressed on her own. She dressed in a simple white nightgown, and a pair of slippers.

When she came out the first thing she saw was Caius reading, she down besides him, "read to me?" she asked, and so he did.

VOLTURI CASTLE - THRONE ROOM

The next morning Anna was full of self-hatred and blame, she had been weak in front of Caius, she had let her emotions get through, and look what it brought her, nothing but a whole lot of bullshit.

Anna didn't know what to do with herself or her sorrows, she couldn't turn her emotions back off because she knew that meant hurting people uncontrollably, but she couldn't let herself be weak like she was last night. She had needed someone to be there for her, and since Caius was the only one there she had let herself go running back to him, but now her mind was clearer and she knew she couldn't let that happen again. He hurt her, har more than he helped and healed her.

Anyhow there wasn't much to do other than to try and adjust, she figured the first thing to do was try and get permission to have her own room leading to where she was now standing in front of Aro, Marcus and Caius.

"masters," she greeted, her voice being back to its usual gentle tone instead of hard as stone, "Anna" Marcus acknowledged, "what can we do for you?" "it's just. I guess. well I was. I was wondering if now that I am back to my old self. my real self if you will. If I could get my own room?" she asked hesitantly, looking at Caius, but quickly adverting her gaze when her eyes caught his.

Aro nodded deep in thought, "I am afraid my dearest Anna, that although you might not be a threat to those around you, you are still a threat to yourself, and as such we cannot provide you with a room of your own until we can trust that you will not further harm yourself. After all the very reason you wanted to harm others was to harm yourself" he answered her question.

Anna nodded slowly looking down at her fiddling hands, "I understand, and I am sorry for the trouble I have caused you along the way, I truly am," she whispered in a voice as soft as a summer breeze. Aro gave her a sympathetic look before gesturing to Marcus, "Marcus will follow you back to your room, meanwhile Caius and I will provide you with some blood, I am sure you are in need" he told her, as Marcus rose from his throne and went towards the girl, "come" he stated, and so Anna followed him out the room back towards hers.