𝟎𝟗. 𝐈𝐧𝐯𝐢𝐭𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

VOLTERRA, ITALY - VOLTURI CASTLE

Things in the Volturi castle had calmed down significantly. The three kings were all far less stressed now that Anna was... behaving. The most obvious change was in Caius who weren't nearly as angry as usual, but rather seemed to be in an actual good mood. Any it wasn't nearly as many trials that ended with a decapitation as the kings were feeling. Well merciful.

Anna had promised she would try, and she really was. She had spent the last week with either Caius or Athenadora and Sulpicia, Caius' ex-wife and Aros wife. She had learned a lot about her supposed soulmate, for example he was a brilliant painter, and he found calm in playing quiet tunes on the piano.

As she slowly got to know Caius, she also slowly starting getting these strange feelings for the ancient vampire - so much so that she was no longer questioning that he was indeed her soulmate and that scared her in so many ways.

1. He had hurt her before - what's to say he wouldn't hurt her again?

2. If she was able to forgive him after everything he had done, just how far would she bewailing to go for him?

3. And lastly just how forgiving was she? and would her forgiveness mean she would always be like this? 'This' meaning that she was everyones last choice because they knew she would forgive them faster than they could say 'sorry' when they didn't prioritize her.

Anna didn't know what to do with these questions roaming in her head - she knew she couldn't start pulling away now, she was in too deep, besides she made a promise, not just to Caius but to herself a long time ago that she would do her best to recover, and this was part of keeping that promise - letting people in, letting herself trust and have a kind forgiving heart. Also because if there was one personality trait Anna could separate from her difficult depression and the traits that it had brought - it was her kind heart.

VOLTERRA, ITALY - CAIUS' AND ANNAS ROOM, VOLTURI CASTLE

Anna was sitting in the chair reading silently with Athenadora and Sulpicia across from her reading the same book, but in greek and Italian instead of English like Anna. The three women had started their own book club of sorts, and they were currently reading: Don Quixote a book by Miguel de Cervantes written in 1605, Anna had to pause every now and again and ask for help understanding parts of the book, as it was written in a very old language, one that she didn't always quite understand.

They were disturbed by a consistent knock on the door, Anna muttered a small "come in" not once removing her eyes from the book, not before the door opened, and his scent his her nose. She quickly marked the page she had reached, and gently closed the old book. 

She got up from her chair and went over and brought her mate in for a gentle hug. He leaned down and kissed her cheek oh so light, it made butterflies erupt in her stomach every time he did that. "we've been invited to Isabella and Edward Cullens wedding my love, We assumed you would like to see her, so it has been agreed that you, Jane and I will attend" he told her.

Annas face fell at the mention of her former best friend and brother, she hadn't heard from them in a long time, not that she had really made and effort to speak to them but still, she was going through a rough time and none of them had made any attempt to speak to her, and that had made her angry at first but now she was hurt and didn't really know what to do.

"Did we assume wrong? I can talk to Aro and Marcus, we can-" Anna held up a finger to Caius' lips to silence him, "you did not assume wrong. I would love to see Bella and the Cullens, I simply have not heard from them in a while, which has had me slightly disappointed, but I will call Carlisle and tell him that we'd be happy to attend" Anna explained removing her finger from his lips and turning around to walk towards the phone.

 As Anna dialed Carlisles number, one which she had memorized as he had been an emergency contact for her, Sulpicia and Athenadora slipped out of the room, they nodded at Anna on the way silently agreeing that they would continue their reading later on.

Anna turned to Caius entering his open arms as the phone rang, once, twice, and then Carlisles voice sounded on the other end, "this is Carlisle" "hello Carlisle you're speaking with Anna and Caius" Anna introduced, "Anna! I'm so glad to hear from you" Carlisle exclaimed from the other end. Anna could hear some shuffling on Carlisles end, and  some distant yelling for him to give them the phone. Caius and Anna shared a look before slightly chuckling, "Sorry about that" Carlisles voice sounded again, "you're on speaker" just as he finished saying 'speaker' a chorus of 'hi Anna's sounded on the other end. Anna laughed, a sound that made Caius smile and admire his beautiful mate when she wasn't looking. "hey everyone" she responded.

"I'm actually calling to say that I'll see you soon," she told them vaguely, it was silent on the other end, before Emmett started cheering making Anna hide her face in Caius' shoulder in order not to laugh really loudly, she pulled away again when Emmett stopped cheering, probably because Rosalie had smacked him. She bit her lip and continued: "yeah, Caius, Jane and I will be attending Bella and Edwards wedding," she said with a smile on her face.

The other end of the line went dead silent again, Anna waited for them to say how very welcome she was and that they were excited to see her, but nothing came, they just stayed silent. Annas smile turned into a frown and venom pooled in her eyes, she had been feeling extremely sensitive recently and now this feeling of being unwelcome in what had once been her home hit her hard.

Caius could feel the anger rise when he saw the look on Annas face, he wouldn't stand for anyone making her sad, not just because he loved her, but also because he was scared of loosing her to her emotionless self again. "Carlisle?" he demanded, scathing the phone from Annas hand.

"We'd be happy to have you" Carlisle finally said, though his voice sounded strained, "you better be happy to have us, you did invite us after all" Caius sneered, Anna sent him a scolding look, and snatched the phone right back "what Caius meant to say is that we're very excited to join you for such a joyful event," Anna corrected sending Caius a playful glare while she spoke.

"wonderful" Carlisle exclaimed, his voice back to normal, Anna couldn't tell if it was because he meant it or because Caius' indirect threats had forced him to up his lying game, but in that moment she didn't care - she was going home.