𝟎𝟕. 𝐌𝐚𝐫𝐜𝐮𝐬 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐃𝐢𝐝𝐲𝐦𝐞

❝People go, but how they left always stays❞

VOLTERRA, ITALY - VOLTURI CASTLE, CAIUS' AND ANNAS ROOM

They walked down the hall in silence, neither dared say a word, Anna because she blamed herself in the difficulties she had created for Marcus and his brothers, and Marcus because he too blamed himself for the extremes he and the others had gone to to bring Anna back to her old loving and caring self, they had both assaulted her and locked her in the basement for two weeks where she had been forced to endure starvation. In the situation it had seemed necessary, but now he was beginning to realize that they had selected the easiest option and not the only option.

They reached Caius' room which was now Annas too. Marcus opened the door for the girl, he was about to leave when he changed his mind and entered the room himself, Anna looked up at him with a surprised expression painted on her face, "Marcus" she exclaimed, making him chuckle to himself at her apparent awkwardness. "Anna, come sit I wish to tell you a tale" He told her nodding towards the chair across from the one he had just positioned himself in.

"so I assume you know of both Sulpicia and Athenadora?" he began, "yeah," she breathed, "they're Aros and Caius' wives, Carlisle told me about them, after Caius mentioned that he was 'happily married' when we first met" she elaborated. Marcus nodded thoughtfully, "I wish to tell you the story of my own wife, Didyme, unlike Athenadora and Caius, we were soulmates" he started with.

Anna nodded along as Marcus' glance became distant and unfocused, "I loved her" he told Anna, "so very much." "what happened to her?" Anna asked "she died" he said solemnly "It was back before we rose to power, I had crossed the path of her and Aro, her brother, roughly 300 years prior, and we had fallen in love at first sight. We were inseparable, we were planning on running away together. Flee from the war, from my duties as king, from her... oddity of a brother" he chuckled darkly "but we never made it, the Romanians attacked the castle, it was the final battle of the war before we gained power. They knew they were losing so instead of fighting to survive - to win - they were fighting just to hurt us. And the best way to do that was through the people we loved, in my case, by utmost beloved Didyme. I wasn't there in her final moments, I wasn't there to hold her, to tell her I loved her." Venom was pooling in Marcus' eyes and he looked just about ready to break, "300 years. that's how long I got to love her. It doesn't seem like much now, but back then it was almost my entire existence. 

I know how you feel Anna, the want, no need. To feel anything other than the pain, to wish death above living with it for another second, but you have a chance. A choice to make. You can be happy, just let him in."

Anna had venom in her eyes as well, tears that would never fall. She leaned forward and put her right hand on his intwined ones, she nodded quickly with a sad smile gracing her features, "but I don't" she shook her head before leaning back in her chair, her gaze turning hateful "I loved him the moment I saw him, I would've gone to the ends of the universe for him, and he just dismissed me like it meant nothing. Like I meant nothing... since then he has done nothing but assault me, be it mentally or physically. He has rejected me, he has held me down and helped steal my memories, he has gone behind my back and tried to hurt my family, whom by the way are now ignoring me - I'm sure he has a hand in that too" She drew in a sharp breath, her voice turning gentler, "What you had with Didyme. It sounds absolutely beautiful, but Caius and I. We're not that, we're not beautiful, we're broken. And we always will be. Forever and ever. He can't love me, open his heart to me like he should, and I can't forgive him, and even if I could, love wouldn't be enough to cure me. To cure either of us. I'm sorry Marcus, I truly am, but I just can't." she gave him one last sad smile before getting up form her chair and heading towards the door, "if you don't mind I'd like to rest now" she stated looking down at her feet.

Marcus bowed his head a little as he passed her but didn't otherwise say anything as he left the room. The second Anna closed the door she let herself glide down the side of the door, and down to the floor where she started sobbing.

And there she sat for god only knows how long. sobbing and thinking terrible thoughts, but in spite of everything she was sure of one thing, she could never forget, and she could never forgive.

sʜᴏʀᴛ ʙᴜᴛ ɪᴍᴘᴏʀᴛᴀɴᴛ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ, ɪ ʜᴏᴘᴇ ʏ'ᴀʟʟ ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ ɪᴛ. 

ʙᴇ sᴜʀᴇ ᴛᴏ ʟᴇᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ ᴠᴏᴛᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛ, ɪᴛ ᴍᴇᴀɴs ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ɪ ᴄᴀɴ ᴅᴇsᴄʀɪʙᴇ