Chapter 10

Harley and Erica sit in silence, with Harley trying to avoid Erica's eyes. She is soon saved from embarrassment when Jackson sits up, grabbing his head.

"You okay?" Matt asks.

Jackson sighs, rubbing his eyes. "I need to go to the bathroom," he says, already up and out of his seat.

"Are you all right?" Mr. Harris asks.

Harley scoffs, muttering under her breath. "Of all the students you could like..." She hears Erica snort, and she grins up at her bashfully. 

Her attention is soon drawn away when Mr. Harris says, "Hey, you don't look so good." 

"I just need to get some water," Jackson explains, leaving the room.

"No one leaves their seats," Mr. Harris commands, then leaves to follow Jackson. The second he's out of the room, Scott is sliding into the seat next to Harley while Stiles takes the one opposite of her. 

"Stiles says you know how Jackson's parents died," Scott immediately starts asking Erica.

"Maybe," Erica shrugs, drawing in a notebook.

"Talk," Scott demands. Erica sits in silence.

"Please," Harley says, sighing. Erica looks at her, then closes her notebook and sets it down, along with her pen.

"It was a car accident," Erica explains. "My dad was the insurance investigator, and every time he sees Jackson drive by in his Porsche, he makes some comment about the huge settlement he'll be getting when he's eighteen."

"So not only is Jackson rich now, but he's getting even richer at eighteen?" Stiles asks, looking between the three others.

"Yep," Erica smirks. 

"There's something so deeply wrong with that." Scott nods in agreement, while Harley stares down at the table. Scott notices her zoning out, and nudges her with his elbow. She looks up at him, and notices all three staring at her, varying levels of concern on their faces.

"Sorry, just thinking," Harley says.

"You know what?" Erica suggests, drawing the attention away from Harley as she opens her laptop. "I could try to find the insurance report on my dad's inbox. He keeps everything." 

Suddenly, the P.A system starts up, saying, "Scott McCall to the principal's office." Harley turns around to look at Allison, and she knows that she's probably reflecting the same panic she sees in Allison's eyes. 

Stiles is reading over Erica's shoulder, and Harley is catching up on some homework when Jackson re-enters the library. Harley follows him with her eyes for as long as she can until she would've needed to turn around. She notices he is covered in a thin layer of sweat, and his heavy breathing means something probably just happened. She half debates going to ask him, but Stiles interrupts her thoughts.

"Don't forget the dates," he chides Erica. Harley tunes out as the two discuss the details. She's never cared for the dates and numbers it takes to do the work; she just wants to get the work done. She's thinking over the past few days, and almost laughs out loud. So much has changed, and she's met so many people.

Stiles - the lovestruck idiot who seems like he'd do anything to keep his friends safe.

Scott - the type of guy your mom would love. He seems to be the leader of the group, yet still tries to treat everyone else as equals.

Allison - as stubborn as stubborn comes, but for the right reasons. Just wants to be good enough. 

Lydia - not letting herself show others what she's capable of because she's scared of judgment. Harley decides that she's going to work on that with her. 

Jackson - still an asshole, just an asshole with a messed up home life. She can relate to that. 

Isaac - someone acting far too tough based upon his insecurities. Daddy issues--Also something she can relate to. Yikes. 

Erica - someone who really just wants to be loved. 

Harley doesn't know if she's ever even known this many people before at once, and certainly not for these reasons. Everything seems to be falling apart, yet falling into place at the same time. The only thing that Harley can't shake is this constant feeling in her head. It almost feels like an itch, but in her brain. She can feel it now, traveling down her arms as well, coursing through her as blood would veins. Normally, she would be terrified. However, the feeling that came with this sensation was not something she could put into words. She hasn't realized how far she is in her own head until Scott shakes her shoulder. She blinks up at him.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asks softly, grabbing her hand and pulling her to her feet. "Stiles said you've been sitting here since I've left, and you look weird."

She grimaces, pulling her hand away. "Thanks, Scott."

He splutters, trying to find the right words. He grabs her arm again and tugs her toward him. "No, no, wait, I just meant like, different. Not bad different! You don't look worse than you normally do. Granted, you don't typically look bad, but I probably shouldn't comment on-" 

"Scott," Harley says sharply, and Scott stops talking quickly. Harley glares at him for a moment, and she can see the dread building on his face. She can feel the left side of her lips curl up, and the relief on his face is evident. "Please, just, stop talking." She walks toward Stiles and Allison, who are both staring at them with varying emotions. Stiles seems concerned, while Allison seems angry. 

This girl and her jealousy, Harley thinks.

"Are you okay?" Stiles asks once she reaches him, extending his hand toward her face. She slaps it away. 

"Don't touch me," she huffs.

"Yep, you're okay, got it."

Harley grabs some books and starts to put them away as Stiles speaks again to the group about Jackson's birth.

"His mom died--by C-section. They had to pull him out of her dead body," Stiles explains. Harley lets out a low whistle as Allison shudders. 

"So was it an accident or not?" Allison asks.

"The word all over the report was 'inconclusive'," Stiles shrugs.

"Then his parents could have been murdered?" Scott suggests.

"If they were, then it falls in line with the Kanima myth," Stiles says. "You know? It seeks out and kills murderers."

"But for Jackson, or for whoever's controlling him?" Allison asks. Harley turns, and pulls apart two books to look between the shelves. She sees Jackson, his face still pale and covered in sweat.

"We have to talk to him," Scott decides, already moving out of the aisle. "We have to tell him."

"Scott," Harley warns. She peers around the corner as Scott walks forward toward an open book lying on the ground. She steps out of the aisle, eyebrows furrowing. "Scott?"

She draws his attention away from something he was looking at between two other shelves. He turns to her, fear evident. "Something is-"

Before he can finish speaking, the Kanima leaps over the shelves, headed straight for someone near Harley. 

"Erica!"

**A/N Can I just say, 10k reads?? That is so cool, and this story isn't even good so thanks to all the babes that are reading *kiss kiss*. Also, I'm a pretty big MCU fan, and was thinking about writing a story after this! Dunno who I'd want as a love interest though, so details are iffy on that. I'm also so very sorry for being so crazy on updating, I literally have no structure for anything ever so I'll just be updating here and there. I have spring break coming up soon, so I'm hoping to use time then!