Chapter 23

Needless to say, Harley kept her distance from a lot of people this summer. Rather than listening to Derek's desperation, she promptly hit him again and stormed out of the vet. She ignored Scott because she was hurt by him keeping secrets from her, which in turn meant ignoring Stiles. Allison left the country for a while, not that she wanted to talk to her after she became psychotic, and Lydia had her own issues going on. The only person she was surprised about not hearing from is Isaac. She figured that they were going to build a better friendship over the break, as they seemed to bond over shared death threats, but she hasn't heard from him at all. She even had built a wall between her and her mom after figuring out that her mom knew something was different about her. 

Not having many people to talk to certainly didn't keep her from being busy, however. She decided to put in volunteer hours at the hospital, growing close with Mrs. McCall (who insisted she called her Melissa, but it's yet to stick). She also did all the research she could about the Lunar Witch, still yet too proud to ask Deaton for help. She's started to learn how to control it, and can now hover small objects with a purpose. Any greater things, sadly, still stem from emotion. It's been hard doing things alone, and uncomfortably quiet after her world blew up surrounding the supernatural. Although, quiet never lasts long in Beacon Hills.

One day, early before the school year, Harley's walking through the ER with paperwork when she sees someone being rushed in on a stretcher. Upon closer inspection, she realizes it's Isaac. She tosses her papers on the nearest table, calls out for Mrs. McCall, and rushes to his side. As the paramedics try to keep her away, Mrs. McCall jogs in.

"Wait a minute," she says. "We know this one." Both girls stand on either side of Isaac, who is looking around dazedly. He blinks hard when he realizes who is looking at him.

"Harley?" he whispers.

"Hey," she smiles softly back.

"What happened, Isaac?" Mrs. McCall asks as the group walks.

"The girl, all right, she's worse, okay?" He whispers.

"Are you not healing?"

"I will-" he looks around in anger. "Will you just- would you just help her please?"

Mrs. McCall calls back to the doctor behind her before turning her attention to the paramedic pushing Isaac. "This girl stays with him, got it?" He nods once before Mrs. McCall runs off. Harley walks alongside Isaac in silence until they reach a room for him. Once he's situated, the paramedic speaks.

"I'm going to go get a doctor for him," he says to Harley. "I'll let them know you're staying, if you'd like."

"Oh, I don't want to be in the way," she says, getting up, but gets distracted by Isaac moaning in pain. She sits back down and smiles sheepishly at the medic. "That'd be wonderful, actually, thank you." Once the two are alone, she turns to him sharply.

"What the hell happened?" she hisses. "I thought you ignoring me meant you were off with Derek somewhere, not getting your shit rocked."

"Getting my- what?" he breathes, obviously still out of it. "Why wouldn't you just ask Derek?"

"Derek and I are not on speaking terms."

"Huh? Why?"

"That's a better story for when you're healed," she says, clearing her throat as the doctor walks in. She sits back in her chair, content with Isaac grabbing her hand in his once the pain worsens.

Despite her gut feeling, Harley left Isaac to go to school for the day. She's managed to navigate her way to class without running into anyone she knows--that is, until, Scott, Stiles, Lydia, and Allison all walk into the class. Harley sinks lower into the chair, trying to cover her face. her plan fails rather miserably when Lydia sits directly in front of her, Stiles diagonal. She smiles awkwardly at Lydia, nodding at Stiles as well. 

Later into class, as they're working on an assignment, the new teacher calls both Scott and Harley up to the front of the class. She exchanges a quick look with him before putting her head down and following the teacher out of the class. 

"Ms. Rogers, you're welcome to head on out," the teacher smiles at her. "I'm going to talk to Scott real quick, nothing too long. Mrs. McCall has asked for both of you to meet her at the hospital." Harley inhales sharply before leaving, waiting at the front doors for Scott as the two finish their conversation.

Once Scott reaches her, she grabs his wrist and pulls him quickly to her car.

"Where are we going?" he asks. "Why do I need to be at the hospital?" Harley takes a quick look around, seeing two identical guys staring at them. Creeped out, she remains silent until they're in her car and on their way to the hospital.

"Isaac's hurt," she explains. "I saw him last night. He got brought in on a stretcher. It looked bad enough for surgery then, but I'll bet it doesn't now."

"They need my help getting him out?" 

"That is what I was insinuating, yes." Scott falls silent at the sharpness of her voice. They remain quiet for a while, until Scott speaks up again.

"I'm sorry," he sighs. "I should've told you the plan right away."

Harley raises an eyebrow. "No excuses?"

"No."

"Then you're forgiven."

"I-what?"

"We have more important things." She pulls into the parking stall and jumps out the door, locking it behind her. "Besides, I like that you owned up to it. Now let's go."

The two walk in with Mrs. McCall at a brisk pace. "I was hoping I wouldn't have to call you," she says. "But I'm glad you're here. He's in room 215 if he isn't already in surgery."

"Thank you," Scott says, grabbing Harley's arm and tugging her along. They're waiting for the elevator doors to close when a can is stuck through the entrance. Scott helps pull the door open as a man walks through.

"Would you hit the button for the second floor, please?" the man asks.

"Yeah," Scott agrees. 

"Thank you." They ride in silence until they reach the floor. "You wouldn't mind helping me out for a second, would you?" the man asks Scott.

"Um-" Scott debates.

"It's all right," Harley says, smiling slightly when she sees the man jump at the sound of her voice. "You go ahead. I'll find our friend."

"I didn't even notice you there," the blind man says, sounding surprised.

"Most don't."

Harley wanders around the hall, looking for any sign of Isaac as he wasn't in the room. She stops short as she sees a man pushing him through the hall. She feels her heart stop as the man flicks out a pair of claws.

"Fu-"

**A/N season 3 baby