Chapter 31

Trigger warning for this chapter

Harley stares in horror at the dingy motel they've stopped at. She's standing with Allison and Lydia, who she'll be sharing a room with. She looks at Lydia, who is frozen in place.

"Lydia?" Allison asks.

"I don't like this place," Lydia shudders.

"I don't think the people who own this place like this place. It's just for a night."

"A lot can happen in one night." Harley glances at Lydia, who's staring at her already.

"What?" Harley asks. "Why are you looking at me?" Lydia shakes her head and walks away. "Weird."

"Harley?" Harley blinks Stiles into focus in front of her. 

"Huh?" she asks.

"What are you doing? You were just walking down the hall and I called your name like ten times. You totally ignored me."

"I--I don't know. Sorry." She turns around and walks back to her room feeling dazed. Meanwhile, Stiles pulls out his phone and texts Lydia to keep an eye on Harley.

Harley finds her way back to her room as Allison and Lydia are talking about something.

"What's up?" Harley asks as she arrives.

"They keep a suicide count," Lydia scoffs.

"Who?"

"The hotel," Allison says. "They have a sign at the front. Number of suicides occurring here. They're at 198."

"Hanging, throat-cutting, pill-popping, both-barrels-of-a-shotgun-in-the-mouth suicides," Lydia says.

"Thank you," Harley cringes, "For the vivid imagery." Suddenly, Lydia stands up and starts intently at the wall.

"Lydia?" Allison asks. With a sudden gasp, Lydia turns to face the two.

"The two people in the other room," she pants, "They shot each other." She races out the door into the hallway, Allison and Harley following close behind. Lydia heads into the room next door. "Hello?" Allison looks to Harley, who shakes her head. 

"You two can do this," Harley says. "I'm gonna see if there's anything else suspicious around."

"Be careful," Allison says before following Lydia. Harley chews on her lip for a moment before walking the other way and going downstairs.

**TIME SKIP (and start of sensitive content)**

Lydia and Allison watch on in horror as Stiles tries to convince Scott out of setting himself on fire. "Scott, you're my brother," Stiles pleads. "All right, so..." Stiles takes a step into the gasoline puddle with Scott. "So if you're gonna do this, then, I think you're just gonna have to take me with you. All right?" Scott, sobbing, allows Stiles to take the flare out of his hands. Stiles chucks it away and pulls Scott in for a hug. 

Lydia watches as the flare rolls back toward the puddle. "No!" She rushes toward the boys and tackles them away just as it sets fire. As the group calms down, Allison pulls Scott to his feet and hugs him. While everyone else appears to calm down, Lydia falls to her knees, screaming in pain and grasping at her throat. Stiles falls to his knees in front of her.

"Lydia?" He asks. "Lydia, what's going on?" 

"Harley," she gasps. "It's Harley." 

Scott looks at Stiles in fear.  "I thought you said it was only werewolves," he says.