Chapter 42

Harley's at work later in the week, helping Ms. McCall decorate the hospital when Scott's dad, as well as the sheriff and a few deputies, walk in.

"Oh, here we go," Mrs. McCall sighs, gesturing for Harley to follow her.

"Hey," the sheriff says as he reaches Scott's dad. "He is not coming in."

"This is the only hospital that'll take him," Scott's dad explains.

"What about county?"

"You'd be surprised how fast things fill up when a guy like this needs surgery."

"They turfed him to us?" Mrs. McCall asks. 

"Yeah," Scott's dad, Rafael, says. 

"Who?" Harley asks. 

"She shouldn't be here."

"She's fine right here," Mrs. McCall decides.

"If county doesn't want to operate on him--" Sheriff Stilinski starts, but Rafael interrupts him.

"Then someone has to," Rafael says.

The group watches tentatively as the doors open and a man is rolled in. Mrs. McCall sighs of relief once he's passed the group. "Somebody needs to do his pre-op interview," she reminds them.

"Who usually does that?" Rafael asks. 

"Me."

Later on, Harley is walking with Scott's parents as they're prepping for the interview.

"Try to keep in mind exactly what this guy's capable of," Rafael reminds her. "He's a former electrical engineer who decided to walk onto a school bus with a shrapnel bomb. He left four students dead and a fifth with no legs."

Harley whistles lowly. "I get why no one else would take him, now."

"Just, out of curiosity," Mrs. McCall asks, "Have any of his psychiatrists made any progress?"

"I'm told this is the same thing almost every day. When he gets out, he's going to do it again. And next time, he's gonna get it right." As Mrs. McCall looks around nervously, Harley grabs her arm lightly. 

"We'll be right outside," Harley reminds her.

"I'll be right outside," Rafael corrects her. Harley barely spares him a glance.

"Right." She turns her attention back to Mrs. McCall, whispering softly. "Everything's gonna be fine."

Mrs. McCall smiles at her and walks in, so Harley is left standing awkwardly with Rafael.

"You're friends with Scott?" Rafael asks her after a while of silence.

"Yeah," she nods slowly. "Friends will all of them."

"You get caught up in their shenanigans?"

"You're an FBI agent and you still call things 'shenanigans?'"  Before he can respond again, screaming starts from inside the hospital room.

"I could see them!" the patient yells. "Their eyes! They were glowing!" Harley tries to keep a neutral face despite the panic she was now feeling. 

Is he targeting the supernatural?

Harley's still feeling on edge by the time she goes to school the next morning. She waits as Scott pulls up on his bike, face dropping as she sees the twins pull up next to him. She pulls her backpack tighter to her as they walk up to her and Scott.