27 - The Unromantic

It was warm. Too warm.

I groaned, trying to move over, only to find an arm wrapped solidly around my waist.

I frowned: did Jack sleep into my room last night without me realizing it?

“Hey, Jack…”

“”Mmmph,” the arm tightened around my waist even more. “I’m not Jack- go to bed.”

“Todd?” I used all my effort to loosen his hold enough so that I could turn around and look at him.

“What-“ I broke off as my eyes skimmed over Todd’s groggy, half-closed eyes and mess of reddish hair.

“I’m tired,” he complained, snuggling his head into my chest.

“Uh whoa there, buddy. I think it’s time to get up now.”

“But I was,” He yawned wiping his eyes, “sleeping so well.”

“Todd,” I warned, throwing a meaningful glance at his arms, which were still wrapped firmly around me.

“Oh sorry,” he murmured quickly, red pooling into his cheeks as he fumbled to sit up.

“Soooo,” I drawled at as I tried to focus my attention on the pattern of the bedspread, “why exactly are you, well, in my bed?”

“Awww, Ally, please don’t be mad at me,” he pouted, sticking out his lower lip.

“What?” I turned quickly towards Todd. Did he just call me…?

“What?” He echoed, a look of innocent confusion planted on his face.

Sighing, I ran my hand across my face, “It’s nothing. But, really, what are you…doing here exactly?”

“I was scared.”

“Todd,” I took hold of his hand, squeezing it softly, “you can’t just crawl into my bed. It’s just not…right. I mean, knowing me, I could have punched your face in, taking you for an intruder.”

“But I was really scared. I swear I heard the door to the backyard open, and there were voices, and the tree was scratching against my window and and…”

As Todd’s eyes widened in fear, mine widened in embarrassment, “Well then,” I patted his hand lightly, avoiding his eyes, “I’m sure it was just a onetime deal. Next time just stay in bed, and I’m sure the noises will die down eventually. Nothing would come in to hurt you.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive,” I gave him a quick smile before letting go of his hand. However, rather than getting up to leave, Todd enveloped me into a hug.

“Thanks, Jenna,” He said as he rubbed his cheek against mine.

“No…problem,” I frowned. Maybe the name slip earlier was an accident after all. Or was I imagining it?

I met Todd’s eyes as he let me go, but was met with the same blank, innocent expression. There’s no way he could be tricking me. No possible way.

“Are you okay? I didn’t hug you too hard again?”

“No, no,” I shook myself out of it and gave Todd another hug, this one much quicker. “So what’s for breakfast?”

“I’m not sure, do you want me to go down and check?”

“Please?” I grinned up at him.

When the door shut behind him, I let out a long breath. That was certainly unexpected.