32 - (Un)Comfortable

“If he’s supposedly doing such a great job, then what was with this stunt that Ally just pulled? Shouldn’t he have fixed her by now? It’s been months already.” My mother piped up, shooting Mr. Berkeley a glare.

I couldn’t help, but be happy that the look was directed at him and not me.

“Exactly – since we have to contribute to the cost of this treatment, we should be seeing better results. We want answers. Now.”

I watched as a small bead of sweat formed on Mr. Brighton’s now-shining forehead.

“Don’t worry about a thing. This runaway stunt wasn’t acting out. Just before Ally left, she appeared to have gotten in a fight. Mr. Berkeley was trying to work with her to find out who had harmed her. His theory is that she was scared of her attacker and did the only thing she knew how to do -run.”

“Attacked? Well if she was attacked by another student, then you obviously aren’t doing your job!” My mother screeched at him, her nails digging into the bottom of her chair.

“We monitor all students twenty-four seven. In the past there hasn’t been a thing that’s slipped through our fingers. Since then, we’ve set out teams to check and replace all the camera systems to make sure such an accident doesn’t happen again.” Mr. Brighton now had a vein practically bulging out of his forehead.

“Well if you think my daughter is oh so innocent in this whole escape thing why in the world do we need to be here? I’m a busy woman and my husband and I don’t have time to waste on meaningless chit chat.” My mom crossed her arms across her chest once again, setting her glare on me. “Ally can deal with her problems herself and if she can’t, she has you to show her what’s right. My husband and I have nothing to do with this.”

Mr. Brighton coughed awkwardly and wiped his shining forehead with his sleeve. He was obviously unnerved by my parent’s antagonistic attitude, almost as unnerved as I felt, helplessly stuck there, handcuffed, unable to get away even if I wanted to.

“Mr. and Mrs. Carrows, Mr. Berkeley thinks it would be highly beneficial for you two and Ally to better understand each other. He feels that you should be aware of Ally’s progress. It’s important for when she returns home so that she can restart her life.”

“Returns home? I’m sorry Mr. Brighton, but Ally will either be in college or working on her own soon after she gets out of here. If she doesn’t get into a four year university I don’t think I can support her. It was her choice to do this and if she decided to throw away all her academic opportunities, so be it it’s up to her to fix it.”

“Anne…” My dad mumbled.

“What? Ally needs to learn her life lessons. Her irresponsible actions are proof that she needs to grow up.”

“So you want us to kick her out on the streets?” My father growled at her.

“Yes, if it means she can learn to be a mature adult, yes.”

“Don’t worry. As I said before, Ally will have a full opportunity to go to a university after being released.” Mr. Brighton muttered encouragingly. “Her high school credits will be completely transferred over – there’s nothing to worry about. If she finishes her program within a year of her coming here, she’ll be out before she even has to begin applying. There will be no need to force her into work or college straight away.”

“But what if she isn’t? What if she continues to screw up?” My mother repeated her question icily.

“Well that’s up to you I guess, but even so it’s important that you guys understand Ally and how she has grown.”