42 - We're Getting Married

“Aiden?” I asked, pulling away from him.

Aiden’s eyes were clouded as he looked down at me and a few moments later, he stepped away. I let my arms fall away from him as he backed up and muttered, “Sorry, Al,” softly.

“Uhhh, happy to see me?” I smiled awkwardly in my attempt to break what felt like a very awkward silence.

“Yeah,” Aiden chuckled softly as he broke out into a huge grin.

I smiled back- more genuinely this time.

See he probably was just really happy to see me. I mean, things like that happen right? Just because he kissed me doesn’t mean that he actually has those kinds of feelings for me.

“So how have things been? What’s going on with the Players and the Widows? Is everyone okay or…?”

“Okay…” Aiden’s eyes clouded over and for a moment he looked lost in thought – something I’d never seen him do before. “Yeah, we’re okay. What exactly did Caden tell you when he broke you out?”

“He just said that you guys needed me to help out. He never really got a chance to explain anything specific while we were making our way here.”

“Is he here now?” Caden asked as he pushed me lightly aside so that he could look out the doorway.

“About that…” I bit my lip as Aiden looked back to me with calculating eyes, “we kind of ran into some obstacles while on the run.”

“Oh Al,” Aiden sighed, then stepped towards me and put a soft hand on my cheek. “I’m sorry – it was supposed to be a simple trip. I didn’t think anything would happen…If I did I would’ve…”

“It wasn’t your fault Aiden – Caden was careless. We had no gas and were forced to boost a car in exactly the worst kind of place at exactly the worst time. There was nothing that could’ve been done.”

“So is Caden with the cops now?”

“Yeah, as far as I know.”

“Shit, there’ll be hell to pay for this.” Aiden muttered softly under his breath.

“What?” I asked looking up at him, but when our eyes met he looked quickly away.

“Nothing.”

I frowned. Why would there be hell to pay? Sure, it was terrible, but only for us. Who else could Caden’s arrest possibly affect? Was he part of some important scheme or something? A trade off of some kind?

My head was swirling so quickly with all the possibilities that I didn’t even notice Aiden had dropped his hand from my cheek and made his way across the room.

“Hey are you okay?” I put my hand on Aiden’s shoulder and he turned around, giving me a full view of his shining eyes.

“I’m fine,” He half-sighed.

However, I frowned. This wasn’t like the Aiden I’d grown up with. Aiden was always confident; always self-assured no matter the situation.

Had everyone changed while I was tucked away at Black Mountain?

“Come on, Al,” Aiden ruffled my hair, breaking me out of my spell. “I’m fine- I’m always fine. You know me.” He grinned that cool, self-confident grin I recognized and I felt myself relax for the first time since Caden had showed up at the dance.

Sure Caden and Aiden may have changed while I was away, but deep down they were still the same people. It would’ve been selfish and naive of me to expect everything to remain at a complete stand still while I was trapped at Black Mountain.