39 - Playing Nice

“Can’t talk here – follow me.” Caden spoke deeply, under his breath as he pulled the red fedora over his face again.

“Okay,” I whispered back, nodding as I followed him to the locker rooms doors where a small stream of people were going in and out to use the restrooms.

No one noticed the two of us. With him and his fedora and me ducking my head, we could have been any other couple at the dance.

When we reached a dark, abandoned corner of the locker room next to all the dirty sweaty gym equipment, Caden finally stopped and faced me again.

He looked different. Besides the longer hair, he’d acquired deep bags under his eyes. He looked a lot older- more stressed.

Beaten down.

“Caden,” I whispered, giving him a hug again. This time he wrapped his arms around me too, squeezing me hard.

“Damn Ally, I missed you.”

“I missed you too,” I echoed, leaning back to look him in the eye again.

“Look Ally a lot’s changed since you’ve been away…”

“I know. I found out who the spy is here. His name is Mr. Berkeley, the school psychologist. Like you predicted, he kidnapped me, but I escaped with Jack and Todd and now-“

“I’m sorry Ally, but I don’t have time to hear this right now.” Caden’s voice was rough with impatience as he tugged at his hair.

“Oh…okay…” I frowned. Caden never used to interrupt me like that.

“Look, Ally, we have to leave. Now.”

“Leave? But…” I thought of Jack who was still waiting for me on the dance floor. I couldn’t just leave him like that, without an answer, without telling him where I was going and why…

“The spy on my end got crazy. Tried to kill me. I broke out of prison with some help, but Al, they’re going for you next. We have to get out of here.”

“Okay, well maybe Jack could help. He helped me break out last time and I think…”

“No, Al. It’s not safe to talk to anyone about this. We can’t make any pit stops; we can’t collect any of your things. We have a very very small window of time to get out of here.”

“If we’re so pressed for time, how come you didn’t approach me first?”

Caden frowned. “I was waiting for you to be alone. As you were drinking, I was thinking how I could reveal myself without freaking you out. It’s not my fault you beat me to it.”

“Okay…” I frowned. Caden had never been this irritable or cross with me before. It was as if I was speaking to a different person altogether.

“Caden you’ve changed…”

He sighed, then stepped forward and placed a hand on each cheek. “I’m sorry, Al, I’m just stressed and tired. I haven’t slept in days. But believe me, I only want to help you and if I want to do that, we have to leave now. I know it’s hard to leave everything behind, but I promise you that if you don’t then…Well let’s just say what Mr. Berkeley did to you will seem like a trip to Disneyland.”

“Caden I…”

I’d already lost Todd, but the thought of losing Jack was…I didn’t want to think about it.

“Believe me, I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t deathly serious.”

“Will I be able to come back?” I asked just as Caden tried to pull me forward.