21- Delinquents

“Jack,” I hollered, making Jack turn around in confusion. I waved my arms about wildly until his gaze met mine and he hustled over to Todd and me.

“Jack!” Todd shouted, wrapping his arms around Jack’s waist. I laughed at the uncomfortable expression painted all over Jack’s face.

Payback comes in the oddest and most unexpected ways.

“Good to see you too,” Jack finally muttered before lightly pushing Todd away. By this point I was cackling and Jack was beginning to glare openly before lightly pushing me.

“You should have seen your face!” I grinned, wiping my eyes. I didn’t even care that my sides felt like they were on fire. This was too good.

“What?” Todd asked eyes wide.

“Uh…nothing,” I mumbled awkwardly as I bit my lip. Shit, the last thing I wanted to do was hurt Todd’s feelings. Jack shot me a quick smirk.

“Oh, okay cool,” a smile spread across Todd’s face, “So where are we going next?”

I looked to Jack who had a blank expression on his face. When he noticed Todd and I were both starin at him, however, he snapped out of it and ran his hand through his hair, “Well we’ll probably want to get out of this town as soon as possible before they find out we ditched the car.”

“Sounds like a plan. So should we take a bus or a taxi or…?”

“I don’t know, how much money do we have?”

My face fell, “Uh….”

Jack frowned, “Todd?”

Todd frowned as well as he turned his pockets inside out.

“Shit,” I cursed, “What are we going to do?”

And at that moment my stomach rumbled loudly, making me blush as Todd and Jack turned to stare at me.

“Damn, when was the last time you ate?” Jack fought a smile.

I pursed my lips, “Umm…breakfast the day Mr. Berkeley took me to his office…I think.”

The past couple of days were a blur – it seemed like it’d been much longer since I’d gotten the phone call from Caden and learned about Mr. Berkeley’s true nature.

“Shit, you must be starving.”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Right now I think the fact that we have no money is more important.” I narrowed my eyes, “I can’t believe you didn’t think to bring cash!”

“Cool it princess,” Jack rolled his eyes, “We’ll figure something out. We are juvenile delinquents after all.” He wagged his eyebrows suggestively causing me to scoff.

“Great,” I muttered sarcastically as I crossed my arms against my chest.

And then my stomach rumbled again. Loudly.

“Okay first stop: gas station.” Jack grinned, tugging my hand forcefully as Jack followed.

“Wait?” I pursed my lips, “I thought we didn’t have any money.”

“We don’t princess. We’ll just use our imagination, get some fuel and then figure out a way to ditch this town.”

“You mean steal?” My voice grew colder a notch. Stealing just seemed…wrong.

Jack shrugged his shoulders, “Call it what you will, but it’s not really stealing. We’ll be stealing from a multimillion dollar corporation, do you really think a couple of bags of chips and candy bars will make a difference…”