47 - Life

Each day ticked by slowly, as if the arms of the clock were swimming through molasses.

I lived in a constant state of boredom and fear while my training left my body battered and bruised.

That was until I showed up at the training room at 6am as usual and found Derek dressed in a white shirt and khaki’s rather than workout clothes.

“What’s going on?” I asked, the second I saw his altered appearance.

“No training today. Follow me.”

He turned quickly on his heels and I followed him closely.

He remained silent as I followed him, offering no form of explanation for this change of routine.

However, I was much too scared to ask him why I wasn’t training today…

It was to my surprise though, when Derek led me into what looked like a big conference room. A large oval table stood at the center of room, surrounded by office chairs.

Half the chairs were filled as we entered the room. Derek promptly took the one at the end and motioned for me to join him at his right hand…right next to Aiden, I might add.

I bit my lip as I tried to avoid looking at Aiden as I sat down.
His confession of love and betrayal flashed hot through my mind as I took my seat next to him.

Luckily I’d avoided him and Caden for the most part during my imprisonment with the Widow’s, but now here I was, sitting next to him, and I had no idea what to think anymore.

Why would I need to be present for a Widow’s meeting anyways?

“Good morning.” Derek said without a smile, as he looked everyone in the eyes one by one.

“We’re here today to discuss the matter of the Players today.”

The Players?

Now Aiden, I invited you to our headquarters as a liaison for your gang to give you one last chance to surrender yourselves. Our recon team,” Derek gestured towards the people to his left, “has been able to successfully pinpoint and track the movements of all the players, which means you guys are completely in our net. Now I’m giving you a choice.” Derek folded his hands together, his gaze steely. “You can either be the fly caught in our net and we’ll proceed to destroy any and all evidence that any of your members ever even existed. Or you all can decide to join our ranks and give up the Players for the Widows.”

I cast a glance towards Aiden who had his hand clenched so tightly into a fist that his knuckles were white.

“What happened to our earlier deal?” Aiden asked through gritted teeth. As he looked up to meet Derek’s eyes, his expression was the angriest expression I’ve ever seen on Aiden’s face. And that was saying something. I’d been with Aiden through some pretty bad times in the past.

“The deal was if you turned Ally into us, we’d spare your gang. Though you tried, Caden was the one that brought her to us.”

“You fucking bastard.” Aiden rose from the table, his face flush.

“Sit. Down.” Derek commanded.

I gulped as the two stared each other down, fixated on which one was going to budge first. They were both similar in ways – ruthless leaders bent on keeping their gangs safe at all costs. Unfortunately for Aiden, I don’t think he’d be the winner in this leadership battle.

And sure enough after a couple of tense, silent minutes Aiden slowly regained his seat.

“Look,” Derek continued, “As it is, you guys are a liability. You know our headquarters, our secrets. Even just knowing Ally is a liability on our part. Besides, I like having useful people, like you and your members, on our side.”