52 -Stats

“Open it. Open it!” I smiled widely as I eagerly looked over Jack’s shoulders.

“Gosh, give me a second.” Jack rolled his eyes as he tore the envelope open. Hunching his shoulders over, he tried to hide the paper from view as he unfolded.

“No fair!” I yelled. “Come on, let me see!”

He smiled widely as he tossed the paper towards me. I clutched at it eagerly, scanning the page for the score.

“Oh my gosh,” My eyes lit up and I leaped up to hug Jack. “2230, that’s so good. I’m so proud.” I smiled and turned my head to the side to kiss his cheek.”

“A kiss on the cheek, really?” He rolled his eyes. “I was hoping with a score like that I was going to get some action.”

I smacked him on the chest lightly. “Nah, you’d have to snag at least a 2300 on the SAT for that to happen.”

“Well there’s always next testing period, Babe.” Jack said, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

“In your dreams.”

He chuckled. “Stop stalling, it’s your turn now Princess.”

And with that, I felt the hold that envelope had been burning in my pocket since the moment Mr. Brighton had given all the Juniors back their March SAT results.

“Okay, fine.” I said, pulling out the envelope with clammy hands as Jack looked down at me.

I took a deep breath. If it wasn’t good, I could always take it again, I told myself.

Then again, colleges don’t like it if you take it more than two times…

“Just open it already.” Jack placed a soothing hand on my shoulder and squeezed. “You’re a fucking genius. Just open the envelope and prove it already.”

“Ah, I can’t” I whined. “You do it.” I said, shoving the letter at him.

“Fine.” He snatched the envelope from my hand and quickly turned around.

“No! Wait let me do it!” I changed my mind and frantically tried to make a grab at it when I heard the sound of paper ripping.

What if I failed? I didn’t want him to see that.

“Oh no,” He sighed. “Tsk, tsk tsk, not living up to your Einsteinian legacy I see.”

“What? What?” I cried, chewing at my lip.

“Oh come on now, what’s the magic word?” Jack teased as he held the results over my head, just out of reach.

“Please,” I deadpanned, trying with all my might, to calm my anxious heart so that I wouldn’t go into cardiac arrest on that very spot.

And then, without warning, Jack put the paper into my hands and right in front of me was_

“Oh my gosh!” I yelled, dropping the paper so I could grab Jack’s face with both of my hands. Our lips met and tongues entangled all at once. Jack caught me, holding me up with a strong arm around my waist as I twisted my hands into his hair.

Only when we were both completely out of breath did we break apart.

“Now that’s the kind of reaction I was hoping for.” Jack grinned as he set me back on the ground. “Only I’ll be so sad when you leave for Harvard without me.”

I rolled my eyes. “Even with that score, there are plenty of things that will make sure a place like Harvard never accepts me.”

“Please. With a 2390, what school wouldn’t accept you? And besides with all the shit that happened this year, you know you’ll have the most kick ass college essay those admissions counselors have ever laid their eyes on.”