Ch 41: Returning to the Estate

The sky was darkening; nearly dusk. Everything seemed quiet across Marlayla other than the normal bustle of the citizens preparing for the transition for curfew. That normal tranquility was shattered when the loud creaking of metal and the harsh crunch of breaking rocks echoed out across the city. The Marlaylan citizens were bewildered, unsure of what had caused such a cacophony. Moments later a quake shook everything. Those within sight of the Marlaylan Guard Corps headquarters witnessed something never seen for many, many generations.

...

Once the dome broke free, Kendrick held it open, raised his hand containing the two humans out of the opening he'd created and placed them on the "roof" of the Pen which was more like a natural rock ledge. They stumbled out of his grip and found their footing as his hand retreated. Then, using both arms, he pulled himself up out through the hole, gingerly sat on the rocky surface, lifted his legs out, and hopped down. A quake shook through the area. Sig and Helia had to hang on to the rocks to avoid falling off. Luckily the prison was sturdy rock and able to sustain Kendrick's bulk without too much damage. He turned back and replaced the metal barred dome the best he could and peered down inside to see several guards looking up in shock at what had transpired.

"Um...sorry about that." He mentioned in an unsure apology. "Kinda felt cramped in there."

He didn't have the reputation of "the Gray Shadow" in this realm and decided since this was Twillow's home it would be best to attempt affability. Although...busting out of their prison was probably frowned upon.

He looked over at Sig and Helia who were balancing on the ledge a bit above his head, "Are you both ok?"

They nodded.

"Are you?" Sig asked.

Kendrick smirked, "Yeah. Feels good to be back to normal."

He rolled his broad shoulders and turned his neck, making them crack like two boulders hitting each other. He didn't ache anymore...didn't feel sick. The doctor had said he might recover once he turned back. Turns out he was correct in that diagnosis.

He turned around to look out over the floating city of Marlayla. It was indeed a big place, though less so now to Kendrick's eyes. He drew in a deep scenting breath trying to see if he could smell Twillow or her home. Unfortunately, there were too many other scents and he couldn't find it. His eyes scanned the area. Lights were beginning to glow from the buildings; not just torchlight like the human cities and towns he'd seen. It was almost like the natural glow of the starlight flowers that lined his home's entrances; soft and colorful. However, he wasn't seeing the Twillow's home.

"Do you see the Birchwood Estate?" Sig asked.

"No. But I'll find it." Kendrick assured him. "I promised Twillow I'd return with you."

Helia kept her eyes up and gestured, "Yeah...are you going to go through Marlayla to see Twillow like that?"

Kendrick almost forgot he was naked but made a face, "Oh...um...hmm."

Again, might not make a great impression on this realm to bust out of a prison and walk the streets in the buff. But he made an assured guess that there were no clothes anywhere of his size. Improvisation would have to be next.

"Wait!" a voice suddenly cried out from the dome.

Kendrick turned back to see Gillam maneuvering through the broken bars of the dome When he was clear he took to the air. Kendrick hadn't seen Twillow's brother yet and raised a brow with surprise.

"What are you doing here?"

"I am...was...one of the Magistrate's bodyguards."

"Was?"